We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR 2 nights in Melaka

Which Melaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
reviews: 36
JBR 2 nights in Melaka

We (family of 5 including 3 children aged 13 and under) stayed in Melaka at the Majestic at the end of March. The Majestic is beautiful, a very special place. But so is Melaka. We were there during the week so it was quiet. No Chinatown market during the week but tbh we had done the whole Chinatown thing in K L so it was not a problem.

We walked along the river and enjoyed the painted houses and the views from the bridges. The light in the afternoon is beautifully soft in a Melaka so I managed to have a lot if fun with my Nikon camera. It was lovely wandering around the old streets, peering into unusual shops and admiring the architecture.

We ate at Pak Putra one night and it was delicious, the best tandoori chicken I've ever had, about 70RM for 5 of us.Also at Restaurant Lee at the back of the Majestic....proper Chinese food, full of locals, about 40 RM, unbelievable price and so tasty.

We did the trishaws ride, which just had to be done in Melaka , so much fun having a ride on these pimped-out bikes. Dutch Square etc, lots of fun by trishaws. I also had a look round Morten Village one morning, interesting.

So yes, we loved Melaka and my kids especially enjoyed the whole history of the place. Melaka is a fascinating place and everyone we met was so friendly. But I can't help feeling a bit sorry for this city....with such a rich history and UNESCO World Heritage City status....why on earth are they allowing these monstrous buildings to be built right by the river? This type of permanent damage will do Melaka no favours. There is a lot of building going on , as in any Asian city, but to build right on the river bank of such a historic city is such a shame.

Edited: 8:45 am, April 13, 2013
Geelong, Australia
reviews: 1
1. Re: JBR 2 nights in Melaka

Hi

thanks for posting another JBR. I remember reading your KL JBR. We are planning a day trip to Melaka while we stay in KL. Looking forward to visiting Melaka.

Cynthia

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
2. Re: JBR 2 nights in Melaka

Thanks Cynthia, we enjoyed Melaka a lot. I think it can be easily done as a day trip but for us staying a couple of nights at the Majestic was really good. We were very busy in KL so we relaxed a bit in Melaka....I hope you enjoy it too :)

Edited: 8:49 am, April 14, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,399
3. Re: JBR 2 nights in Melaka

Just read this TR. Nice perspective about the riverside construction. Hope they can manage this well in Melaka.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
4. Re: JBR 2 nights in Melaka

Hi Bradjill, yes I agree, I do hope they control the amount of high rise construction especially right on the river bank. It shouldn't be allowed but I do hope they don't do much more of it.

5. Re: JBR 2 nights in Melaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 26, 2014