We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redstone/NASA Tours

Which Huntsville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
reviews: 51
Redstone/NASA Tours

Are there any public tours available for any of the military bases or NASA facilities in Huntsville?

I'm wondering about the Redstone Arsenal maybe?

Also are there military flights in the area? Just looking for a good spot to planespot while on vacation there.

Thanks.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
1. Re: Redstone/NASA Tours

Not sure about the tours, but Huntsville International (HSV) has some military activity at times. It is very common to see cargo planes doing touch & gos, along with the occasional trainer or fighter. It is only a 12 gate airport, so not much activity overall. Mainly regional jets with a few MD-80 or 737s thrown in - DL, US, CO, NW, AA.

The Shearaton Four Points is actually in the airport, so ask for an airport view room on the fifth or sixth floor and you should have a good view of both runways. You can get quite close to the runways. There is a golf course at the approach to 18R and road access and a cotton field at the approach to 18L. Not sure how close you can get on the south side of the airport, but I think there is a large complex (Boeing?) that you might be able to park in. There is also a bridge that takes you over to the hotel pool which might give a good view of 18R.

Athens, Alabama
reviews: 312
2. Re: Redstone/NASA Tours

No tours since 9/11.

Alabama
reviews: 1
3. Re: Redstone/NASA Tours

There is an airshow scheduled for June 28-29 at the airport.

http://www.hsvairport.org/airshow/

I've never been, but it's supposed to be very good - the Blue Angels will be there among other things.

Patti

Huntsville, Alabama
reviews: 3
4. Re: Redstone/NASA Tours

"Not sure how close you can get on the south side of the airport, but I think there is a large complex (Boeing?) that you might be able to park in."

Unfortunately you can't park at the Boeing complex unless you work here. Sorry :( There are a couple of places to stop along County Line Road (south of Hwy 20 and I-565) with partial views of some runways.

5. Re: Redstone/NASA Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, September 29, 2009