We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer visit without crowds??

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canal Winchester...
reviews: 49
Summer visit without crowds??

Looking for a place to stay on a beach that is not crowded in June, July, or August....is this possible? We have been to Destin and Panama CIty, but just not our cup of tea...too much going on.

Saw several posts about Fort Morgan, but concerned about the water conditions (want clear waters). Any other area we should consider? Do not care about any attractions or activities.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
reviews: 15
11. Re: Summer visit without crowds??

"Perhaps others can offer their perspectives, so help you get a clearer picture of the area."

indygem,

Why on earth would anyone need an opinion other than yours and mine? :)

Beebe, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
reviews: 41
12. Re: Summer visit without crowds??

Any where around gulf shores is perfect... I am one of the people that like the big waves, that makes the water less clear... With that said, from fort morgan to orange beach, I have stayed all over, and have been in the water when it is chest deep and been able to see my feet.. The worst time to visit is during the music fest, and possibly the 4th of july . I would never say that orange beach or gulf shores is ever really crowded.

Canal Winchester...
reviews: 49
13. Re: Summer visit without crowds??

Thanks for all the replies everyone. We decided to book a 2bdrm condo at Gulf Shores Plantation through our vacation club. This will give us a tad less expensive way to drive around the area and pick a place based on everyone's suggestions.

Wisconsin Dells...
reviews: 27
14. Re: Summer visit without crowds??

I have spent 30 years vacationing in Panama City and now I come to Orange Beach and rent a condo. There is no comparison as far as traffic or the beach being crowded. If being in the midst of condo life isn't your thing, yes head to GS West or Fort Morgan. I like to people watch too so I love Orange Beach.

Starkville...
reviews: 28
15. Re: Summer visit without crowds??

I think (hope) you will find the GS/OB/FM area much more to your liking. From what I understand (& vaguely remember from trips as a teenager) Panama City & Destin is a much busier & different atmosphere. It's just myself & my hubby & we like relaxing honeymoon-like vacations ;-) and we always manage to find it staying at the Lighthouse in GS. Now we always go in mid-May and Sept so I can't vouch for full-on summertime. The water is always great, plenty of private beach around you, restaurants & shopping & the people are so nice. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Hastings, Michigan
16. Re: Summer visit without crowds??

We have been to Myrtle Beach, Panama City, Orange Beach, Fort Morgan, and Gulf Shores. We do not go back to myrtle beach because of the beach itself. Will not go back to Panama City do to all the wild extra curricular activity. We have stayed at the Plantation and loved it but now with teenagers not enough action for them. Orange Beach and Gulf Shores are great. You are wise to come to Alabama!

17. Re: Summer visit without crowds??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 16, 2014