We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in Little Lagoon

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 17
Fishing in Little Lagoon

I am coming to GS 1st week of April. Staying in Laguna Bella. Piers in Little Lagoon. Questions on fishing. How big of fish will I catch? I have equipment meant for fish up to about 10-15 pounds. I would hope that is large enough. Bait-I know I can use live shrimp, but any other suggestions as to artificial lures would be fun too. Any other advice would be helpful too.

Cullman, Alabama
reviews: 40
11. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

Thanks so much! We will be fishing from the dock of the condo. Is looks very shallow so would we be fishing for flounder? If so, do we use a bobber or let it sit on the bottom?

Tyler, Texas
reviews: 85
12. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

Flounder are a little tricky. Fish on the bottom. There are flounder rigs. But you don,t need one..just put the weight up a few inches. You actually may not feel the bite..just a heaviness on the line. But you must hook them good before they reach the surface or they will throw the hook there. Great fun..much more so than the bass here

Gulf Shores, Alabama
reviews: 390
13. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

Actually lights do attract fish and not just flying insects. Most fish have excellent sight and depth perception and can distinguish colors, hence the staggering amount of artificial bait in crazy color patterns. The lights on piers mostly attract small baitfish and shrimp. The larger fish such as redfish and speckled trout use the deeper holes to ambush smaller prey and attack from underneath where they are camouflaged from the light. The fish you will catch in Little lagoon that are worth eating are mostly flounder, redfish, speckled trout and mangrove snapper. You may also catch bluefish, ladyfish, rays, and catfish. Do not attempt to eat the catfish unless you know which ones are edible. Gafftop sailcats are edible. The ones that look like river catfish are not and they are poisonous. You will more than likely catch the inedible kind. To fish flounder use a store-bought flounder jig or make your own with a 1 to 2 oz. cylinder weight and about a foot and a half leader. Fish little Lagoon with 15lb. or less test line and cast out the jig and slowly reel back in. To fish reds and specks you need topwater lures or live bait. Shrimp and finger mullet work best. For artificial bait I would try the Saltwater Assasins, Topdogs or Zare Spooks. Spoons also work well. If you are fishing lights then cast out past the ring of light and you will get the most hits just on the edge of the ring when reeling back in. Nothing can beat live bait in any situation. Bait finger mullet through the eye sockets but not the eye itself. Bait shrimp through the meaty portion of the tail. You do have to have a saltwater license for Little Lagoon. If you have a light on the pier that is not on turn it on before sunset if it is not on a timer already and that should be sufficient for fishing that evening. The kind of lights that are on piers also make a difference but I won't bore you with that except to say that the ones that look like streetlamps(metal halides) hold baitfish better than others. Don't try to eat any other fish that look "prehistoric". They are not edible either. The local tackle shops can clue you in to the best baits and lure colors for where you will be and can help with tying leaders or jigs. Good luck!

Cumming, Georgia...
reviews: 3
14. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

I am heading don this weekend, and staying in on eof the houses right on the inlet. Can we fish right off that back wall? Any tips for where we shoud be fishing? Are there regulationss on wading?

Indianapolis...
reviews: 52
15. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

The water is pretty shallow so you can wade (just watch for the possible stingray or jelly fish. Be sure to get a fishing license - you can get short term ones at the pier and walmart and bait stores - a license is required in all waters.

People fish (and throw nets) off the walls all the time, I'm not sure it is the best location because of the current through the pass.

Cumming, Georgia...
16. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

Thanks! Of both sides....which is the best best bet...we have gulf on one side....little lagoon on other. Be wading both....no boat!

Cullman, Alabama
reviews: 40
17. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

Last week at the pass two guys had two ice chests full of sheephead. They were fishing the gulf side of the pass.

Cumming, Georgia...
18. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

Are those good to eat?

Indianapolis...
reviews: 52
19. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

I think it depends on the kind of fish you prefer, Jimmy K. Some people rave about them as a really great white fish (after you cut out the red meat during cleaning), other folks don't care for them. Here is a link that might help you decide -- in any case, they will be fun to catch and you can always just let them go. We often get catfish (both on gulf and lagoon side) another one that can be fun to catch but we tend to release rather than keep.

pensacolafishingforum.com/f54/tips-preparing…

And another pretty good summary of the various species of fish you might encounter:

gameandfishmag.com/2010/…

Good luck!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
reviews: 390
20. Re: Fishing in Little Lagoon

Sheepshead are very good to eat but they are a major pain in the a$$ to clean. It is not a bloodline you have to get out but hundreds of tiny bones. It could take hours to clean a cooler full. The payoff is worth it in my opinion and sheepshead are showing up on menus at places like Restaurant August, which is John Besh's flagship in New Orleans. That is saying a lot.