We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

india and Nepal

Which Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
reviews: 14
india and Nepal

I am planning to visit North India and Nepal in coming Oct. would like some sharing who have been there.

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 146
1. Re: india and Nepal

Hi there,

Good season to do so, should be nice weather!

Unfortunately your questions are a bit to generic to give a good reply, even with our 2 x Nepal and 6 x India experience, so if you could pose some more specific questions then maybe we and others can help....

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Malaysia
2. Re: india and Nepal

Our group will arriveKolkata and planning to visit the golden triangle, we hope to cover Nepal on our trip. What is the best alternative to travel around? We hope to explore on our own, but we need local transport and hotel and place to eat (preferably not too much curry). Is it safe to move around without a local tour?

What the entry requirement for both Nepal and India? Any form of sharing is welcome.

thanks in advance.

Edited: 7:34 pm, January 17, 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 146
3. Re: india and Nepal

Hi Lorna,

Travelling by train for long-distance is great wherever possible (or domestic flights); for Nepal best to do flights from Delhi or Varanasi to Kathmandu and back. Only for areas where the choice is public bus or van-with-driver I'd go for the latter; then the tour operator can arrange guides for you at the towns where you need it.

Nepal has visa on arrival for most nationalities, India is much more restrictive and as of now you have to pre-arrange a visa in Malaysia. Larger towns also have non-Indian taste restaurants, and anyhow north India tends to have less spicy curries than south India where the Malaysian Indians (Tamils) have their roots.

Hope this helps a bit,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Beijing, China
reviews: 1
4. Re: india and Nepal

You can also arrange an Indian visa from Nepal, Kathmandu. It took me about a week(Dutch nationality). One morning applying, 6 days later bring my passport, next day got it back with visastamps.

Malaysia
5. Re: india and Nepal

Thanks so much for the information. will appreciate if i could receive more information to better plan for my coming trip.

Malaysia
6. Re: india and Nepal

Hello again,

I am now looking for land transport preferably hire a good tourist driver, to drive the 8 of us around from Kolkata to Agra, jaipur and new Delhi. From Delhi we want to get a flight to Napel, stayed a few days then fly back to Kolkata for our return trip.

Any suggested on the possiblity of hiring a good tourist driver and places of interest, Mother Teresa house is a must see list.

Any suggestions are highly welcomed

7. Re: india and Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)