We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Which Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nanjing, China
reviews: 11
passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Dear Ashisk dada,

I am coming to kolkata airport on Thursday, 30 jan 2012 at 23:40. I want to take a long route train from any of the railway stations. But on that day very few trains running to my destinations. I want to take an early train that's at 08:15 from KOA station. what is the possible way to pass the time from arrival and how can I reach to KOA rly station from the airport.

If I want to take a train in the afternoon from Howrah station, then can I be able to make a brief tour of kolkata city with my heavy luggage? can you help me with your possible ideas?

Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
1. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

If you mean KOAA station/city name in the Indian Railway site, that is a type of 'group code'; it covers at least Sealdah and Howrah stations and maybe 1-2 more large terminals.

S. and H. stations have Left Luggage counters and hence seem a good option for your plans. Transport from airport to one of these large stations is about 1.5 hour by cab or tuktuk at normal daytime traffic and maybe 1 hour at night. There are also buses, and a train/bus combination, but then it gets slower and more complex.

Search this forum and 'things to do' section of TA for the city's sights.

All the best,

<Erik>

Kolkata (Calcutta...
reviews: 29
2. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Dear jaxy999

The station KOA refers to kolkata/ Chitpur railway terminal. It is a new and less crowded terminal of kolkata, will take approx 1hr by cab from airport. But it is better not to go to the station at night, as very few trains run from there, not much of activity there, you will get bored. Some good pubs are there around airport. you can hang in there.

Thanks

Tapas

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
3. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Yes that's right but if you ask at IRCTC site for trains from/to KOAA it also gives Howrah/Sealdah trains. So probably Howrah/Sealdah/Chitpur have some kinds of internal linking on the site...

Tnx,

<Erik>

Nanjing, China
reviews: 11
4. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Thanks for your response. But what does it means of KOAA? Is it a different station or just a PF on Howrah Station? and how to reach there from the airport? And how to move around the airport with heavy luggage?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
5. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Hi again,

KOAA is the code in IRCTC for all 3-4 major Kolkata stations, as far as I've experienced. Because people generally want to travel to the city and are not aware of the exact train routes that's safest. For instance for my trip in 2 months time Kolkata-Varanasi the IRCTC site, using code KOAA, gave me a Howrah-departing train for outbound and a Sealdah-arriving one for inbound (the latter one most likely also passing Howrah). Being a newbie to the town it's quite a good system of IRCTC, otherwise I'd have to investigate the exact station name first.

All major stations can be reached by cab/tuktuk, and with a lot more difficulty by bus/train/metro, from airport. Chitpur is closest to airport and 1 hour, the other two take 30 mins extra. The airport has luggage trolleys I presume...

All the best,

<Erik>

Kolkata (Calcutta...
reviews: 29
6. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Hi

Yes KOAA is totally different a station from Howrah or Sealdah Station. But its within city and not to far from airport. The station name is Kolkata(better known as Chitpur) and is coded as KOAA in railway website.

Regards

Tapas

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
7. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Yes but just try, as I did, using KOAA in the website. It _does_ give you also trains for Howrah and Sealdah and I'm glad it does...

All the best,

<Erik>

New York City, New...
reviews: 120
8. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Hello. I too have a lot of time from a long layover at the airport. My flight from Bangkok arrives 4 a.m. and my connecting doesn't leave until 1:55 p.m.

Any suggestions on how to pass the time? What can I do relatively close to airport? Does the airport have lockers to store luggage?

I have been to Kolkata before, so no need to s/s any major attraction.

All ideas are welcome :)

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
9. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

Find a guesthouse or hotel not far from the airport, I'd say. Don't know for sure about lockers or left luggage depot.

All the best,

<Erik>

10. Re: passing time at the airport from midnight till morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)