We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

santiniketan dec28-29

Which Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 24
santiniketan dec28-29

We are considering leaving on dec28 morning and returning on dec29 evening from calcutta to santiniketan.

1. Please suggest comfortable air conditioned trains to get there.

2. recommended hotel

I read about some fair at that time. will it still be on.

Is it worth the trip or do we spend these days in Calcuta itself

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India
reviews: 34
1. Re: santiniketan dec28-29

Santiniketan Express is most convenient train, it reaches on check-in time of hotels. Chhuti Resort, WBTDC Tourist Lodge, Mark & Meadows can be tried out. If the dates coincides with Poush Mela (fair), then it will be difficult to get room as well as train booking.

Alternately, you can spend 1N/2D at Raichak, its on the bank of river with excellent accommodation at Ffort Raichak.

Edited: 8:24 pm, December 05, 2012
new york
2. Re: santiniketan dec28-29

thank you ashis. Is the Mela worth seeing.

Raichak- reading that road to here is bad. so would avoid.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India
reviews: 34
3. Re: santiniketan dec28-29

If you like madding crowd, mela would be fine. But make sure, you have the booking for accommodation.

Road to Raichak is quite good, though in some stretches, the road is little congested in morning hours. Rather it is better than Panagarh-Ilambazar stretch of Santiniketan road (If you go by road transport).

Edited: 2:44 am, December 07, 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 53
4. Re: santiniketan dec28-29

>>Is the Mela worth seeing.<<

My answer would be an unequivocal NO-it is crowded, dusty, chaotic with rows and rows of cheap handicrafts, and food stalls.

The university is closed then, so, you could not see or experience anything of Visva Bharati and santiniketan. Go there after the crowd has thinned. I should know, I spent the first twenty years of my life there!

new york
5. Re: santiniketan dec28-29

thank you alumnus. would you know if dec28-28 is a good time to go and if the mela is over by thn

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 53
6. Re: santiniketan dec28-29

The Paush Utsav-the fair lasts from the 24 through 28th. of December. I can't tell you whether the Tagore Museum-Rabindra Sadan is open during that time or not. I would suggest a visit to Amar Kuti-about 2 miles, this is an institution where local women are trained in various crafts and then sell them in their show room.Their Kantha (quilt) sarees are very nice.

Good luck!

7. Re: santiniketan dec28-29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)