We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darjeeling in January

Which Darjeeling hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 4
Darjeeling in January

Hi, am looking to do a month travelling round India - finishing off in Darjeeling mid to end of January but I am worried about the weather conditions as nowhere seems to mention that this is a good time to visit. Does nayone have any advice about this?? Is it worthwhile and do treks still take place etc.?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
reviews: 15
1. Re: Darjeeling in January

Hi,

Make no mistake, its very cold in Darjeeling in January. But I don't think its anything a Londoner cannot handle. You might be lucky enough to have snowfall, but Darjeeling snow is usually quite polite and not bury you under.

Treks, umm..I am not sure but the most common trek to Sandhakphu is usually closed in the winter.

Other than that, clear crisp weather. You'll love it.

new jersey
reviews: 54
2. Re: Darjeeling in January

I went Darjeeling with my family in January of last year. We enjoyed our time there. It was cold, but nothing like what we get here in New York or New Jersey. Actually during the day it got warm a couple of times with sun blazing down.

The plus side of going to Darjeeling in the winter is that it's much less crowded. The summer haze that sometimes sets in is all gone and the air is as crisp as it could get. You could also get solid bargains lodging wise as hotel rates are significantly lower at this time.

The only season that going to Darjeeling is a problem is during the monsoon when there could be landslides leading to road closings, dislocation etc.

Good luck

3. Re: Darjeeling in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 07, 2010