We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

Which Chennai (Madras) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.A. ( the land...
Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

One of us in our group has a Palm Treo with Cingular service and would like to bring a laptop. Is it possible to get internet access through a data laptop card and a sim card from a telecom provider in Chennai. If so, what are the steps involved and the cost ( rental vs purchase)? Hope I made sense! Thanks a lot!

( We will be staying in the Anna Nagar area).

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
reviews: 15
1. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

Hi,

You might want to look at the Datacard options from TataIndiacom - tataindicom.com/t-personal-internet-plug2sur…

and Airtel http://www.airtel.in/ See Wireless Internet from the menu.

Both should be available in Chennai. You can look up the tariffs on the website. These two are the leading providers with good service.

Hope that helps.

U.S.A. ( the land...
2. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

Brave1 - thanks a lot for the links.

I looked through them - the Tata site has various branches ( 69, I think) in Chennai and only one seems to be in Anna Nagar, but rates are not listed - and I don't know if the Anna Nagar store will have what we need, as I was given to understand that not all stores supply data cards.

On the Airtel site, nothing about Chennai branches, but the rates did confuse me - Rs. 4999 for one-time use (!) ..does that mean one buys the data card? We just want to rent ( less expensive too).

Do you... or anyone else... know *personally* of stores in the Anna Nagar area of Chennai (or near Anna Nagar), that will definitely have data cards and do you know the prices they charge for rental and service?

Also, if any tourists from the U.S to Chennai have "been there, done that"... your input will be very welcome.

We would prefer to bring the laptop and not have to go to an internet center as that won't be time-efficient and not as convenient.

Thanks a lot!

U.S.A. ( the land...
3. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

bump :-)

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
reviews: 14
4. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

I would not recommend AirTel for the Data/Sim as in India the Data on GSM mode is very very slow. You may either go for Reliance (RelianceInfo.co.in) or Tata Indcom which are both on CDMA

Reliance was the first one to introduce Data thru Mobile in India and personally i have been using it for last three years.

By the way how many days will you be staying at Chennai, based on you stay you can choose the plans accordingly.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

I would go with Ratna's suggestion as the service varies a lot between companies in different areas in India. In Kolkata Airtel and TataIndicom provide the best wireless data service. I don't know if Reliance offers datacards in Kolkata, if they do its certainly not popular. However if Ratna says they provide better service in the South (Chennai), its definitely worth a look.

U.S.A. ( the land...
6. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

Thanks for the useful info, RatnaPrasad. Would you know of any Reliance or Tata stores/dealers in Anna Nagar or Chennai? That would be information we'd *really* appreciate! We will be in Chennai mostly but also going to Bangalore ( about 4 weeks altogether in India). We'd like to rent, not buy.

Thank you again.

P.S. I guess there are no TA "local experts" for Chennai, yet !

U.S.A. ( the land...
7. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

Brave1, just saw your post - thanks :-).

It's way past my bedtime - long, long day - hope to read more info/replies tomorrow.

Thanks, all.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

Livinglife,

I don't think you can rent datacards in India. The concept is still new, and mostly busines travellers use it.

Have you looked in the Reliance website (www.relianceinfo.com) ?

It doesn't matter if you don't find a retailer near you. Just take a taxi to any of the Reliance Webworld outlets.

Try this link.

rcom.co.in/Communications/…rm_netconnect.html

U.S.A. ( the land...
9. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

Brave1, thanks! Reliance it is!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
reviews: 9
10. Re: Laptop internet access via data/sim cards

Anna Nagar is too important a suburb to not have a Reliance outlet.

- Deepa