We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

Which Jaipur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta...
reviews: 3
Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

Shopping in Jaipur is liberating for shopaholics like me. The question arises what to take and what not to take. Shop in the Bazaars in Jaipur specially opposite and around Hawa Mahal. Do bargain while shopping and try to access the correct price by checking out different shops. Don't shop from stores suggested by your chauffeur/driver or tour guides since in most of the cases they have a commission/percentage understanding with the store owner. Do check around before splurging. Keep at least one day for shopping.

Check out Paneer Ghewar from LMB, jewelry from Johari bazaar, buy the soft very much foldable silk/satin block print razai or quilt that has pasmeena wool stuffing (can't guarantee that its pasmeena) and beautiful blue pottery. Also check out block printed textiles but be careful to select vegetable dyed prints. I personally feel, its best to visit a good shop like Soma (my personal favorite) in Jacob road for cotton block prints.

BEWARE: Dont shop from 'Rajasthani Nagra Shoe Factory' in 13, Jagdish Colony, Amber Road (on the way to Gatore). This is a shop who cheats shopper black and blue. They sold me Jutis for Rs.500 a pair which I got in Rs.200 in the city bazaar (exact same pair including design and quality). They don't allow bargaining and offers cold drinks instead, but beware they will take you for a ride. Incidentally my chauffeur referred me this store.

Jaipur, Rajasthan...
1. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

a word of advice..these all chauffeurs have their commission in what you people buy..so they recommend same shops to you......go only by your instincts ..and bargain as much as possible..:D:D..and keep shopping

Jaipur, Rajasthan
reviews: 6
2. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

@Musemotif : Appreciate your thoughts. However you may post them under tips or Traveller Article. This would help fellow travelers.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
3. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

Thanks Pathfynder, for the advice. Will definitely do so.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
reviews: 107
4. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

certainly a very good and useful advice

Kolkata (Calcutta...
5. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

Done. Posted under Jaipur Traveler article.

Otterlo, The...
reviews: 63
6. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

Is Johari bazaar the main bazaar shopping belt? What time do the shops open/ close? Safe to shop there alone?

For tailor made clothing, roughly how much for an indian style blouse (indian prints)?

Edited: 9:39 am, April 21, 2012
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
7. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

On our Feb 2011 tour we realised just how much of a cash cow the tourist is in Rajasthan, but where we felt it most annoyingly was in Jaipur where our guide took us to a couple of places where (a) the prices were sky-high, (b) she pressure us to buy, even when we said several "no" and eventually told her we were not interested and getting sick of her pressing us, (c) she ket us waiting in the car while she collected her commission from the one place where we did decide to spend. Bitter aftertaste! There are beautiful things to buy in Jaipur, and throughout India, but you've got to resist the guide's recommendations. In Udaipur we simply got out driver to take us to the top of a street we'd seen with shops we were interested in, then walked/window-shopped/shopped our way to where he waited at the bottom of the street. In particular we found a shop selling miniature paintings and some water colours, and spent £££. But we picked the shop, we chose the paintings we wanted, and we only paid the shopkeeper.

Jaipur
8. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

Hi ,Johnb 121 thanks for sharing,can you please tell us the name of that Jaipur guide also.....

agra
reviews: 1
9. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

whole world is against guides and driver is n't it........

in tourism industry in india,employer of guides and driver knows that they are getting tips and commision so they pay them very less or sometime for free.

problem start from here.

everyone want money...

whole system is very bad..

this is not ur driver and guide only who get comission...travel agent too. ...delhi travel agencies have contract already with these shops.......

sometime guides paid to travel agencies officers to get a tour with rich tourist.

to overcome this problem my advise for tourists....

plz dont be rude to guides and drivers..be freindly...ask them for lunch sometime...and most important a good tip will bring you hassle free services.

then they dont need comission.

Jaipur, India
reviews: 29
10. Re: Thoughts on shopping in Jaipur

Hi,

its not true that " whole world is against guides and driver " and its not right that if they r not getting well for all this then they have to do like.

and any way in other hand its right and true also that the whole system is involved like employer of guides and driver s,travel agent also,all travel agencies and travel agencies officers for this eassy money.

so visitors have to do and enjoy all this by them self in local bazars like JOHRI-BAZAR,BAPU-BAZAR,LINK-ROAD AND M I ROAD. and also have to go in few shops just to compare quwality and prices and after also make a very strong bargning.ANOKHI,SOMA SHOP,RATNASANGAM thease r also few good shops.

me also appreicate MuseMotif ur thoughts