We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bronx, New York
reviews: 7
Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

Is there anyone out there who has researched the tailors in Mumbai who make classic men's clothing to order? Some guidebooks mention Reid and Taylor, but I learn from the internet that they have become a ready-to-wear establishment, and they have had months-long difficulties in getting a website to explain their current individualized services. I have read elsewhere that there are other Mumbai bespoke tailors, excellent ones, who furnish Savile-Row quality men's clothing at much lower cost. Has anybody in the TripAdvisor community had any experience with them or known someone with such experience?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
reviews: 9
1. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

There are several excellent tailors; what part of Mumbai are you going to be in?

If you are in South Bombay, there's a tailor inside the Taj Hotel. There's one behind the Taj Hotel as well.

In North Bombay, there's Anja San and Kachins.

Let me know if you want more info on prices, materials etc, I've had suits tailored for some overseas visitors of mine and they've usually been very happy with the cut. Trial is in one or two days, suits can be delivered in a couple of days.

- Deepa

Bronx, New York
reviews: 7
2. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

Thanks, Deepa. I'll be staying near the Taj Hotel, but I'm willing to travel anwhere in Mumbai for a really good tailor. Any information you have about prices will be most welcome.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
reviews: 41
3. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

Don't expect Savile Row quality. You won't get the same cut.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

I took some guests to a tailor inside the Taj Hotel. They have fabrics that you can pick, and then they tailor it for you. The shop is opposite Gazdar in the

A tailored suit (jacket and trousers) with fabric of my guests choice was US$ 380 or so. They picked a fairly expensive fabric. Of the $380, the tailoring alone is $120.

If you want to do jacket-only, then Jacket tailoring costs $97 + fabric costs.

I suggest you bring along a favourite jacket/trousers, and have them copy the fitting. They will give you a fitting the next day. My guests brought their own buttons to give the tailor. This I thought was a good idea, because it gives the suit that extra finished look. The tailor also had buttons to offer.

- Deepa

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

Incomplete sentence - 'The tailor shop is opposite the Gazdar jewellery shop inside the Taj shopping arcade' (between the heritage wing and the tower)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
6. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

I think Deepa talks of Burlington's at the Taj.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
7. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

Kachins is pretty good.

In South Mumbai, I would also recommend Millionaire at Kemp's Corner and Gabbana opposite Mahalakshmi Temple.

Boston
8. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

Hi,

Let me tell you that most people here in India dont have an idea of bespoke tailoring. Kachins, Gabbanna etc are all made to measure but not bespoke ; dont expect Savile Row quality... if you want that try Vaish at Rivoli if you head to New Delhi... Bombay unfortnately has no bespoke tailoring that im aware of~ hope this helps...

AK.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

I'm not sure what you're saying, but if you mean a suit where you start from selecting the fabric, and then it is cut and tailored to your measurements - then Bombay does have that service.

Bangalore
reviews: 5
10. Re: Bespoke (made-to-order) suits in Mumbai

You may not get 100% Savile Row but probably 95% for about 50% the price. The fabrics will equal to what you can get anywhere, and I recommend the lightweight wool, it's very comfortable. Depending on the thread count, and blend of angora/merino the cost will vary. For the really high end fabric,they sell it in suit lengths, and dont keep a whole bale/roll of it-it is very expensive and not fast moving.

Deepa was on the dot-you normally do a trial( or two) and get it delivered very quickly. My experience is in Bangalore, and I dont know about other locations.