We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 36
Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

We have just returned from an excellent Golden Triangle tour with Delhi Magic. I made all the arrangements with Deepa Krishnan by email and she organised a wonderful tour for us. Our time available was very short - only 3 days, but we were able to get a good overview in that time.

We flew into New Delhi airport from Sydney and were met by our lovely driver Umesh who was with us for the next 3 days. We spent the first night at Thikana a bed and breakfast, and found it to be clean, air-conditioned and extremely comfortable. I shall post hotel reviews separately. In the morning after breakfast we were met by our Delhi guide and driver and given a half day tour of old and new Delhi including a rikshaw ride throught Chandni Chowk and a walk through the old narrow streets. We also stopped at the site of Ghandi's cremation.

In the afternoon we drove to Agra and stayed overight at Jaypee Palace. We found the hotel to be excellent and the service superb. Especially enjoyed the live Indian musical entertainment at the restaurant at dinner.

We visited the Taj Mahal at 6.30 am the following morning with our Agra guide. The timing was perfect -it was cool and not crowded. Of course the Taj was just stunning! We returned to the hotel at about 8.30 for breakfast, then continued sightseeing before checking out at midday and driving to Jaipur.

At Jaipur we spoilt ourselves and stayed at the Taj Rambagh Palace where we were treated like royalty ourselves! I mean how often do you get a chance to stay in a real Palace? If any of you have the opporunity to stay here, do it! Next day we did a tour of Jaipur with our wonderful guide Annapurna including the elephant ride at Amer Fort, City Palace, Jantar Mantar and Hawa Mahal. The Amer fort is a truly amazing place and our guide truly made it come alive for us. In the evening we were dropped at Jaipur's new domestic airport for a flight to Kolkata to visit relatives.

I would not hesitate to recommend Delhi Magic/ Magic tours. Deepa put together a wonderful itinerary for our short time. About 2 weeks before we left home she emailed me an extremely detailed travel dossier with contact phone numbers for all involved - driver, guides etc, and accomodation vouchers. At all times we felt extremely safe and well looked after.

A few comments which may be helpful specically to other Aussies. Australian dollars are easily exchanged at 5 star hotels so there is no need to take US dollars etc. The power point converter you need for India is the one sold in Australia as the South African one. It has 3 round prongs and works perfectly.

The only real difficulty we experienced was with the heat which in July was still quite extreme. I think if you are travelling around this time of year an air-conditioned car and hotel make things much easier, and a steady supply of cold bottled water such as our driver had for us was a real blessing.

India is truly a land of contrasts - rich and poor, old and new, but is always alive and interesting. Some of our highlights, apart from the sights such as the Taj Mahal of course, were just street scenes. I mean, where else will you find a Sadhu in his white robes and long flowing hair riding next to you on a modern motor cycle? I hope you will all enjoy your travels as much as we did!

Sydney
1. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

Excellent trip report! Thanks. And thanks for the heads up on the adaptor, that's perfect!!!

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

No worries veg01, you're very welcome. Have a great trip!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
reviews: 9
3. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

Thank you for the positive feedback. It is so nice to hear good things!

I wanted to ask you about immigration and customs in Delhi airport - how long did it take you? Also did you finally fly out of Delhi, and was there an airport departure tax?

Loved your comment about the sadhu on the motorbike!

- Deepa

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

Hi Deepa and thanks again for a wonderful tour!

Customs and immigration probably took about 30-40 minutes to clear at New Delhi Airport - no problem. Everybody has to fill in a swine flu questionaire and incoming passengers are thermoscanned. There are 2 medical staff sitting and they take your completed questionaire and then proceed to ask you if you have had any cough/ cold/fever or flu symptoms in the last 7-10 days, then they stamp your papers and you proceed to immigration which was just a short queue.

We flew out of Kolkata, not Delhi and no, there was no departure tax to pay.

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 53
5. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

Thank you for an excellent tour review-I know exactly what you are talking about the heat-I took my wife for the first time during July-Delhi-Agra-Jaipur Udaipur-my only comment is, the next time, spend a couple of days at the Lake palace hotel of the same Taj Group that owns the rambagh palace hotel.

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

Hi Alumnus,

Yes, the Lake Palace at Udaipur looks absolutely stunning. If we get the chance sometime I would dearly love to spend a couple of days there!

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
reviews: 40
7. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

With Lake Pichola filling up, Udaipur has become more beautiful.

india
8. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

Is senior lady banker travel agent also? Which bank lets you have two jobs?

And free advertisement on this site also. Cool. Is being travel agent more profitable than being banker? Tell me. Maybe I will become a travel agent also.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
reviews: 9
9. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

Not in banking anymore.

No, the travel business doesn't pay as well. Not yet. I do it because I like it better. Maybe next year I will make as much as I used to earlier.

It's more fun though. I get to write about my city, and about the country. I get to do TV. I get to share stories with strangers, I get to travel. It makes me happier.

I like being on this forum too. India can be quite a difficult experience for visitors, information can be hard to come by. I like the discussions here, and the regular posters here form a sort of friendly community with a shared interest in travel. This is not a "free advertisement site", posts that advertise services are deleted. There are guidelines for what you can post.

- Deepa

india
10. Re: Trip Report - Golden Triangle with Delhi Magic

But this is good advertisement for you, no? Client gives super review and you say thank you and everyone seeing the site knows you are travel agent and have got good review. something like what Mr.mallya does with kingfisher beer and his airline flying the good times. you must be very successful businesswoman. i am full of admiration. what an idea madamji.