We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Familymoon in 2015 - any tips or suggestions?

Which Isla Bastimentos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, England...
reviews: 2
Familymoon in 2015 - any tips or suggestions?

Hi everyone, I've had a quick look around the forum and am going to buy a guide book in the next few days but also thought I would start a thread here.

I'm getting married in 2015 and we are starting to look at wedding dates and honeymoon venues, we both love beaches and adventure type things, like walking, climbing, surfing etc. We live in England and have been to Bali, Thialand, Fiji, most places in Europe, Jamacia and a few other places. A friend is currently in Panama which got us thinking about going here on our familymoon.

We will be brining our son, who will be nearly 3 and also a friend who will help us to took after him so we can still go for dinner and have some alone time.

I originally loved the look of the villas at Red Frog Beach Island Resort and Spa. But my friend says Bastimento has trash everywhere on the beaches; is this right? She says Colon Island is nicer, but I imagined it to be much busier there?

Could anyone recommend a lovely place to stay similar to Red Frog Beach Resort on a nice quietish beach but still with lots of things to do?

Also I'm after some tips about the journey there from England, which airport is it best to fly to and how would we get to the islands? Any tips for travelling with a 3 year old?

12 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 88
11. Re: Familymoon in 2015 - any tips or suggestions?

Red Frog beach is "more" developed and has more people, while the beach on the opposite side near Casa Cayuco and Au Natural is an undeveloped beach except for a few rental homes and eco resorts. Red Frog is not developed with big hotels, etc. but there is a marina with yachts. I would return there but it is not my #1 beach in Bocas. We are staying at a rental house near Au Natural in late March and exploring the mangroves and shoreline in kayaks and visiting the indigenous village are on our list, as well as snorkeling from shore. Friends have reported no trash around there at all. Out there, it is a boat ride to Old Bank and the nearest town except for the Salt Creek indigenous vllage. Cant wait.

Los Angeles
reviews: 3
12. Re: Familymoon in 2015 - any tips or suggestions?

I stayed in Casa Cayuco two years ago for my 40th and loved it. It is peacful and beautiful. The water was calm and it was great to explore around the area. It is not very developed and there isn't a pool. If you are looking for a peacful vacation, with a great host and great food, then this is the place for you. If you are looking for a more developed hotel then I would look elsewhere.

Reply to: Familymoon in 2015 - any tips or suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted