We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM on Bocas del Toro - Alert

Which Bocas Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 104
ATM on Bocas del Toro - Alert

I had problems with the ATM at this branch, which is unfortunately the only one in Bocas town. When trying to extract $200, the ATM told me it could not meet the request, and suggested I try a smaller amount. I asked for $160 with the same result. Then I asked for $100 and it paid out in $5 bills. But when I checked my account the next day, $200, $160, and $100 had been removed. My bank in Canada said I could submit a claim when I got home but the money was actually refunded 6 days later, and before I returned home. However, if you are operating with minimal funds, this could be a big problem in the interim. If you are only in Bocas for a few days, I suggest you bring sufficient cash or use your credit card where and when you can.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
1. Re: ATM on Bocas del Toro - Alert

thanks for the warning

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 104
2. Re: ATM on Bocas del Toro - Alert

Follow-Up. My funds were refunded 6 days later and prior to my reporting the loss at my bank in Canada. so it appears that the BNP initiated the refund. So at least they appear to have their house in order, even if their ATMs have sticky fingers.

Panama
reviews: 100
3. Re: ATM on Bocas del Toro - Alert

Glad to know BNP, our only Bank and ATM responds quickly. Yes, it is a good idea to bring extra cash since you will find many restaurants and some hotels do not take credit cards, but you can always check with your hotel in advance. There are a few merchants and reputable hotels where you are staying who will give you cash against your credit card with a surcharge if you are in a crunch. Just put any extra cash in your hotel safe box so you are not having to carry it with you!

Vermont
reviews: 28
4. Re: ATM on Bocas del Toro - Alert

Hey, DiverDan,

That happened to me in Dominica for over $400! I had no idea until I got home. Luckily, I kept all receipts and my bank helped me pursue the remedy, which I did eventually get. Bank personnel were honest and had the transcation detail to sort me out. Whew! Glad it worked out for you too.

Panama
reviews: 100
5. Re: ATM on Bocas del Toro - Alert

When traveling internationally, it is always a good idea to carry a certain amount of cash for security and emergency situations. Be smart, carry it on your person, stay where they offer safe boxes. If you need to leave due to emergency or catrostrophic circumstances, you are always ready!

As advised there will always be a merchant, like Rosa Blanca Pharmacia, in Bocas del Toro, or another hotel or business who will offer assistance for a surcharge since they are not banks.

Choose hotels and restaurants who accept credit cards. That will always put you ahead of the ATM machine. Yes, we do have Hotels and Restaurants in Bocas who accept credit cards, so check them out on TA!

6. Re: ATM on Bocas del Toro - Alert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bocas Town