We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of things

Which Bocas Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 33
Cost of things

Hi,

Last year we did the all inclusive thing (4 days at Playa Blanca and then 3 days at the Gamboa Rain Forest) so we really don't know what things cost (drinks, food (groceries), restaurants etc. We did stop at a grocery store when travelling between Playa Blanca and Gamboa and picked up a couple of things and I was pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive things appeared to be $3.50 for a 6 pack of beer (for example).

As we are planning to rent a condo or cottage this year we are wondering what we should expect to spend on food (groceries & restaurants, drinks (at the store & bar).

Also how much is it to rent a bike for a week or two in Bocas del Toros? Seems taxis & water taxis are cheap.

Any info will be appreciated.

Panama City, Panama
reviews: 80
1. Re: Cost of things

Sorry, dawat - I hope someone from Bocas answers on here. Because Bocas is a huge tourist destination, food, etc. are more than in other places of Panama.

I can only help you in the Pacific Beaches area with this question. I can't pretend to be a Destination Expert and answer for all areas of Panama - I have to stay within my area.

Hope someone helps. Enjoy your trip !

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 74
2. Re: Cost of things

Not sure if you left for your trip or not...answer to your question as i just returned from my first stay in Bocas... I found things relatively inexpensive. Can`t beat beer for 65 cents ...LOL... happy hours $1 ... some drink specials $2.

Taxi $1 per person... lots of specials in the restaraunts and grocery stores are pretty good depending on what you're buying.

Edited: 9:11 am, October 14, 2012
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
3. Re: Cost of things

Hi Dawat, sorry I missed you post. I was traveling when you posted and now have just gotten back to a computer. If you haven't left yet....

In Bocas things are more expensive then other areas of Panama because of being an island and a big tourist destination. Still it is pretty cheap compared to home. Beer at the grocery store is around .$65 like lesa said. Most other places you can find local beer for $1 some places more. Cocktails are around $5. Depending on what you are buying and where you are buying groceries are about 1/2 of what they cost here in Atlanta. Super Gourment things are more expensive but still less then what Gourmet food would cost here at home. Restaurants prices range. There are some great places where you can have a full meal for a $5 but most of the other restaurants it is around $10 to $20 a person for a great meal depending on what you order.

I have only rented a bike for the day before, sorry don't remember how much for a week. If you are renting more then one bike ask for a discount.

So in general plan on things costing less then what they would cost at home. I don't know how much things cost where you live, but for my san diego friends Bocas is really cheap. For me things are about 1/2 what they are at home.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
4. Re: Cost of things

Just got back. Bikes were $50 for the day ($10 per hour) and I am sure you could negotiate for a good weekly rate. We got a bike included in our rental, and it was the best!

Ottawa, Canada
5. Re: Cost of things

Where did you stay? What did you do? Are you posting a review?

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Cost of things

Yes, I will be posting a trip report as well as reviewing our accommodations and restaurants we visited. We just got home at 1:00 this morning, so just need some time to write the report as it will be long! :)

Everything was great!!!!

P.S. We were just in Ottawa a few weeks ago. Beautiful city!

Ottawa, Canada
7. Re: Cost of things

Let me know when your review is up, please.

Ottawa is a great city!

bocas del toro...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Cost of things

Nedley - Bikes are $50 per day?????? Normally bikes are $12 per day - $50 per week - a second one would be less

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Cost of things

Maybe I read it wrong. I thought it was $50 for a day. But that does sound expensive, doesn't it? Sorry, ignore my comment. I tried to look for these details because I know people ask these questions. But I didn't need to rent (got one with our villa) so didn't talk to anyone. But I thought I saw the $10 per hour, $50 per day sign on one on the streets.

NC
10. Re: Cost of things

Is the dollar coin widley used or is the one dollar bill more popular? Should I bring a stack of ones or roll of coins? Thanks, Rob