We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

caribeshuttle

Which Bocas Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
des moines
reviews: 97
caribeshuttle

Going from Puerto Viejo to Bocas de Toro--anybody used the caribeshuttle? Good experience?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
1. Re: caribeshuttle

Yes I have used them a few times. I think it is the best way to cross if you have never done it before. They walk you thru the whole way, even if it isn't in English ;) Just remember that you are not here in the States where things happens on a timely manner. One time we waited for 2 hours, all checked out with luggage, at our hotel. They called and let us know they would be late. It wasn't their fault, there was a problem at the border, so better to be waiting at the hotel bar with luggage then dirt road border with luggage.

des moines
reviews: 97
2. Re: caribeshuttle

Thanks mrolfes,

We both speak Spanish and have been in Latin America quite a few times but we are on a short 3 week vacation instead of traveling this year and thought it might be easier to leave the logistics up to caribeshuttle. We stay in more expensive places, taking the easy ways when on vacation and then try to save money and will go thru the time consuming hassles when we have months rather than weeks. We will actually be leaving from Manzanillo (if our plans do not go awry), so, for this trip-the caribeshutle sounds perfect--not a whole lot of bag-toting and bus negotiating in Manzanillo and Puerto Viejo. Thanks again,

treeshaker

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
3. Re: caribeshuttle

I totally agree with your style. I will be in CA for 10 weeks, and I am still opting to fly to certain places instead of the all day bus option. We can cut expenses somewhere else, but time is priceless

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 8
4. Re: caribeshuttle

I have used Caribe Shuttle several times, and again, as someone said, occasionally there are hold-ups at the border. However, they now use two vans, and you have to walk across the border with a guide, which is really easy and a bit of adventure, and no need to wait a long time for a van to cross (which can be a very long process, as the bridge has one lane and lots of trucks waiting on both sides to cross). It also includes the boat, which makes the trip smoother. <it does cost a bit more from Manzanillo, as it adds a bit more time onto the trip, but will pick you up directly from your hotel before heading back through Puerto Viejo for other passengers and onward to the border. It´s a great service, and saves a lot of time. Make sure, however, you bring two copies of your passport, as you need to leave one both upon entering and exiting Panama. There is also a charge of $3 each way in Panama as well. Doing the shuttle round trip keeps you from having to show proof of exit entering Panama, but you will still need to show your flight information when re-entering Costa Rica. The shuttle´s website is www.caribeshuttle.com Good Luck..hope your trip goes well!

Oakland, California
reviews: 1
5. Re: caribeshuttle

How much in advance should reservations be made with Caribe Shuttle?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
6. Re: caribeshuttle

When are you going?

You should be fine to make the reservations once you get to Puerto Viejo. If you already know what day you want for sure, then you can make the reservation any time. Just make sure to double check the reservation with them a few days before you leave.

Oakland, California
7. Re: caribeshuttle

I'll actually be going from Bocas to PV on the 25th of Feb.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 8
8. Re: caribeshuttle

Normally there is no problem booking it close to the date you want to leave, however, this is high season, and the shutttle limits to 10 people for comfort, so I would say e-mail them for more details and availability...

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: caribeshuttle

We used Caribeshuttle and were very happy with the reliability and the service, along with getting us over the border and back

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
10. Re: caribeshuttle

We used them last year, we were also very happy with their service. We needed to go to Panama on a day they weren't scheduled to go. They set up a special shuttle for us and were able to fill it with other travelers so we only had to pay the regular rate. They were very responsive by email and easy to work with.