We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers checks

Which Bocas Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 66
Travellers checks

We will pay with credit cards where possible.

What should we do about extra cash? Should we take travellers checks?

Thx

Roy

Panama City, Panama
reviews: 78
1. Re: Travellers checks

No don't take travelers checks, businesses and vendors do not like to take them as the banks hold them for 30 days. There was been much discussion on here lately about this subject. I suggest visa and mc and getting cash advances when you need more $$.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 122
2. Re: Travellers checks

Do a search on this forum on Travelers Checks and you will get a ton of hits

Bocas del Toro
3. Re: Travellers checks

I was told today that Banco Nacional, the only bank in Bocas, no longer accepts traveler's checks, even if deposited in one of their customer's account....

Bocas Del Toro
reviews: 1
4. Re: Travellers checks

DO NOT bring Travellers checks, you will hate yourself for doing it.

Panama
reviews: 103
5. Re: Travellers checks

Leave your Amex behind too, many businesses do not accept it. You will be happy with MC or VS.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 84
6. Re: Travellers checks

There was a thread about this on the Ecuador forum a couple days ago. Here's something I posted:

"Out of curiousity I went to AmEx's Web site. There's a handy button for locating exchanges in any country you input http://www.aetclocator.com/us/ There were NONE in either Quito or Guayaquil.

The lesson learned: If you plan to take cheques overseas, find out first if there are any exchanges in the country!"

Here's the whole thread if you're curious: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294308-i2254-k417…

7. Re: Travellers checks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 22, 2012