We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing The Rock In the Afternoon

Which Sigiriya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 4
Climbing The Rock In the Afternoon

Hey guys, maybe you all remember me as the guy who was concerned about the climbing of the rock and I will be landing in Sigiriya this coming Saturday! Still uncertain but I have more or less decided to climb it. But due to travelling times, we most likely can only do it Saturday afternoon. I understand we should try to get down before dark and as the sunset is around 6pm I suppose, this means technically we should be down from all the steps by 6pm and this means we should start climbing now at around 430pm to be safe, and this also means we should start climbing from the entrance at around 230pm? which means it is very hot? Am I right?

5 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
1. Re: Climbing The Rock In the Afternoon

Hi there,

3 PM is earliest starting time to avoid the heat indeed. Don't worry if you are back at 6:30 PM, sunset/twilight is between 6 and 6:30 PM so there will still be enough light that last half hour of the day.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brisbane
reviews: 60
2. Re: Climbing The Rock In the Afternoon

Pleased to hear that you are almost there!

On one climb we started between 3 and 3.30PM. This worked well, giving us time to sit and enjoy the view from the Lion Entrance area before going upwards. We dawdled on top - only a few people around. As we were two females alone with no trusty guide that time and also with a fretting male waiting for us in the car park, we wanted to get to the bottom before dark. There was one couple left on top as they intended to be there for sunset. They would have needed torches coming down after that.

Do let us know how it works out for you.

Regards

Archi

Singapore
reviews: 4
3. Re: Climbing The Rock In the Afternoon

ALrighty, thank you all very much!!! I have to be honest, I am looking forward more to the Yala and Unawatuna and Bentota legs of the trip,,,,hahaha but I told myself this is a place I need to do to prove I can do it...and well the great view does help to push that decision.

Kandy, Sri Lanka
4. Re: Climbing The Rock In the Afternoon

A visit that is well worth...

scotland
reviews: 72
5. Re: Climbing The Rock In the Afternoon

Starting the climb at 4pm should allow plenty time at the top and an easy descent before dark. Last entry to the park I think is 5pm although no requirement to leave by then. It'll still be hot but it's actually not as daunting as it looks. It was a highlight of my trip so don't miss unless you suffer from vertigo.

Reply to: Climbing The Rock In the Afternoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted