We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

Which Jaffna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ella, Sri Lanka
reviews: 14
air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

Planning to go to Jaffna and want to find out transport options. Any recent experience appreciated.

18 replies to this topic
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
11. Re: air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

Posting your email address in a public forum makes you vulnerable to SPAM. I suggest you delete your post. Click on "Report inappropriate content" and select "Remove my post".

Toronto, Canada
12. Re: air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

I'll be travelling to Jaffna after being abroad 25 years.

Where would I need to catch the AC Bus in Colombo to Jaffna?

Thanks

Edited: 11:17 pm, December 30, 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
13. Re: air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

Well 'Pettah bus stand' but that's the most chaotic of the country due to size and city stubbornness. Best is to first go to Bastian Mawatha part, the largest and home for most of the AC buses - and ask there. However some chance you'd be redirected to another part of the bus stand which might be 300 m away but also might be almost a mile away :-(

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Toronto, Canada
14. Re: air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

I successfully visited Sri Lanka and returned to Canada safely.

For anyone else wondering: You can purchase the ticket for 1300 Rupees (Approx $11-$12 USD or CDN) at virtually any store on Galle Road in Wellawatte. The buses will come pick you up there. Some of them will even come pick you up at your hotel if you pre-arrange it with the bus.

reviews: 5
15. Re: air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

Need to go from Jafnna to Negombo . Do you know if the night bus from Jaffna to Colombo stops at Negombo ?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
16. Re: air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

Half of those buses follow Vavuniya-Dambulla route and other half Pooneryn-Puttalam-Negombo route, hence should be possible to get a bus which stops there too.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 13
17. Re: air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

Yes. It's me!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
reviews: 4
18. Re: air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?

I recently traveled from Colombo to Jaffna with a company called Annai Travels. They have their depot in Wellawatta in Colombo. The bus departs from here.

There's quite a few travel operators in Wellawatta and they all charge a similar price. I paid 1.300 rupees to travel one way.

Coach was air conditioned - departed 19.30 hours and arrived in Jaffna at aroun 0.3.30

The coach stopped at various points on the way through the Colombo suburbs to pick-up passengers and also for the driver's mate to buy street food.

There was entertainment on the coach in the way of DVD's playing Hindi films (loudly) but to be fair the rest of the passenger's were all Tamil. I was the only foreigner but never felt out of place.

There was (and still is) a military check-point at Omanthi in the North. I had to get off the bus and have my passport checked and also answer some questions about reasons for my visit to Jaffna but at no time did I feel worried.

Bus also stops for toilet breaks and refreshments after a few hours of travel.

But the journey for me was long and uncomfortable - just could not sleep. I pretty much knew what to expect bit I had always wanted to go by bus to Jaffna - and it was a memorable experience.

I returned by train a few days later. Loved Jaffna and the people are friendly and helpful.

Reply to: air fare to Jaffna? or AC bus from Colombo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted