We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nasca questions

Which Nazca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
reviews: 3
Nasca questions

Hi:

How far away from the town of Nazca are the lines?

Is it possible to walk to them without a big expedition or a lot of time?

and can a person actually walk on one of the lines, or is that not permitted?

I'd like to get a close-up photo of a "line" or two, showing the delineation and differences of the surfaces.

thanks!

Lima, Peru
reviews: 12
1. Re: Nasca questions

As for walking on the lines, since it destroys them, it is discouraged.

Using Google Earth, it looks like there are a few lines that intersect the highway only about 5 km from Nazca. The lines have already been disturbed, so it might be reasonable to get to the edge for some photos.

It is about 25 km to the tower where a few figures can be seen. I'm thinking of doing that, in addition to a flyover, just to see how they look.

Evansville, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Peru
reviews: 15
2. Re: Nasca questions

I believe you can take a bus to get to the observatory tower from where you can see 3 or 5 figures. That's what Peruvians without a car usually do.

Please, do not walk near or ON the lines because they are very fragile and several have already been destroyed by tourists and drivers. Even if someone offers to take you near one of the lines (a possible scam), please do not do it.

Lima, Peru
reviews: 94
3. Re: Nasca questions

Or if you take the Ballestas Island Tour you will see the candelabra

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 277
4. Re: Nasca questions

If you are close to the line itself, you will not even notice it.

The closest you will get to one is at the observation tower.

From town you should taxi to the airport to catch a flight.

Houston
reviews: 2
5. Re: Nasca questions

Like this? It was taken from a marked walkway.

www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Here is the same one from halfway up a hill:

Here we are on the top of that hill.

Here is the sign next to the road:

We took a taxi tour. Very affordable and I would recommend it in a heartbeat to everybody. We went to climb a hill to view some, went to the tower, went to the aqueducts, an old set of ruins, and another hill. Overall, I think it was around 4 hours. Take a drink. A BIG drink. And something to blow your nose on--it is super-dusty. (I did see a guy that was walking with his pack and the driver told us that he was walking across South America but, no, I don't think walking out there is a smart idea.)

Edited: 12:19 am, January 24, 2012
Colorado
reviews: 3
6. Re: Nasca questions

Great info! Thanks.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 136
7. Re: Nasca questions

Thanks em!

8. Re: Nasca questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, March 13, 2013