We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to book in advance?

Which Aguas Calientes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PIttsburgh...
reviews: 17
Do I need to book in advance?

We will be in Peru from 12/29-1/12 and were planning on just winging things. I figured I would book the MP train when I first get to Cuzco for a day or two later. We were considering overnighting in Agua Calientes- can we just book once we get there at this time of year or do you think we need a reservation in advance? Thanks in advance. Jen

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 91
1. Re: Do I need to book in advance?

From everything I hav read on this forum you should book your tickets to MP in advance a shame to go all that way and not get to MP. Xochitl is the expert on this and he usually recommends booking train in advance regardless of sason it seems . also look at going to Sacred valley first then to Mp then back up to Cusco better for altitude aclimitization.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
2. Re: Do I need to book in advance?

You can always wing it and take the major risk of not finding tickets available when in Peru and miss MP altogether.

Book yr train tickets via www.orient-express.com .

PIttsburgh...
3. Re: Do I need to book in advance?

Thanks for the info. I reserved the train and am working on my domestic flights. I also reserved two nights in Cusco since I'll be there over New Year's. Do you think I need to reserve accomodations in Agua Calientes ahead of time? Or in other places for that matter?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
4. Re: Do I need to book in advance?

Its always better to reserve in advance to avoid nasty surprises.

London, United...
reviews: 214
5. Re: Do I need to book in advance?

If you are booking your domestic flights with LAN note that flights are cheaper if you claim to be resident in Peru (the question is asked on first screen).

If you do this you have to complete the booking in Spanish but you can save a lot of money. Our flights cost $640 as opposed to over $1100 admitting residence in the US and there were no problems with using a US credit card billable to a US address!

FYI LAN offer great service - new planes - they even serve a snack (not just a bag of peanuts either) on flights lasting only an hour. Amazing!

PIttsburgh...
6. Re: Do I need to book in advance?

Thanks for the great info! I learned the trick about the domestic flights reading the forums on this site and I was so happy. It looks like my airfare will be about $400 less. I advise everyone to look at tripadvisor.

cusco
reviews: 1
7. Re: Do I need to book in advance?

Hello Jen this is Local expert Cusco is better if you book in advanced. Also have in mind the train tickets i advise you books this in advanced also, ( www.perurail.com) you can do this once in cusco, but dont wait the same day your planning on buying them.

Also would be a good idea to buy the machupicchu entrance tickets in advanced you can do this in cusco also in the information offices in Av. Sol you will find it.

Also a few tips about aguas calientes

Take mainly soles they always give poor exchange rate for dollars

take the first bus up to machupicchu ( 5.30 a.m )and see sunrise you also avoid the crowd that comes with the first trains at 9.30 a.m.

If you are in new years i would recommend you book the hotel in aguas calientes in advanced

Also there is a fanatstic restauranat in AC you can try there new years menus www.rupawasi.net

good luck and enjoy

8. Re: Do I need to book in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 15, 2009