We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisboa, Portugal
Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

I'm going to be working in Lagos in September, and I wish to know if someone could help me understand if it's safe to walk around, which are the best places to visit there, and the best/safest hotel to stay there...

Any other advice are welcome!

thank you :)

Tiago

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 32
1. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

Stick to victoria island,ikoyi and lekki for such strolls and make friends with locals where you work that's all you need. Am quite sure you'll be fine

Lagos, Nigeria
reviews: 120
2. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

Walks in vi is fine. Walking around during the early hours o the morning can get you into trouble but that can happen anywhere on this planet

Danville, California
reviews: 113
3. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

I would not walk around Lagos anytime without a driver, security or at least a local who knows the territory. Chances are that nothing will happen but Why take the chance?

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

I know someone who, when he first came to Nigeria, he was very anxious, suspicious of everyone, someone had to be around him all the time, he would not wind the car windows down and would not go out except for business meetings and work. That was over the top. After several visits to Nigeria he became more confident and would go around certain areas on his own and navigate any where in Lagos with a driver.

places to visit include the international trade fair, lagos museum, lagos cathedral (near CMS) lagos city hall, the old lagos prison, tafawa balewa square, shoprite victoria island, badagry town (relics of the slave trade era). china village at Ojota. visit the High Court at the back of Tafawa Balewa Square and notice the impact of the colonial era and the architecture. There are so many other places including the beaches. There are many jazz clubs around Lagos Island / Victoria Island etc. You must visit Alaba international market for the experience. If you are are planning on staying in lagos for a while you can mingle with people from your country who are also based in Nigeria.

I would advice against walking around before you get to know the locals. If you are new to Lagos, I guess walking around aimlessly should be limited to lagos island and victoria island,

I have met a few Korean backpackers walking around the china village area.

A driver is a must.

Good luck

5. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:24 am, April 10, 2014
Porto, Portugal
reviews: 1
6. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

Tiago,

It is NOT safe. DONT WALK AROUND. Only go by car!

I just tried to walk around for the first time, after previously visiting Lagos 4 other times over the last few years.

Here is my story:

1) I was harassed frequently by the impoverished street people. That wasn't too bad- just annoying.

2) I had to get physical (pushing, and shoving) and shout curse words at two local thugs. The main thug claimed he was a police officer. He was obviously not- it was a scare tactic, so he would steal from me.

The smaller of the two men, I pushed into oncoming traffic several times before he left me alone.

These men grabbed my arms and belt from time-to-time to stop me from walking out of the area.

The men kept following me and were trying to force me into an enclosed area. In that area, I saw other people waiting who seemed to be in on the game. So I walked into the streets against the cars it was safer than the side walk.

The total episode lasted for 10- 15 minutes.

The whole time I had to threaten violence against (in words) and push the main thug to prevent him from trying to attack me.

3) The local people will stand by and NOT help you! Some of them appear to be in on this scam/mugging situation.

It was a terrible experience, and I wasn't sure if I was going to be badly beaten and robbed. I managed to get out the situation unharmed with my goods intact, but it wasn't worth the risk!

Never WALK AROUND in Lagos!

Killenaule...
7. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

So basically its not tourist friendly. or is there any parts of nigeria i can walk around safely,.

Lagos
8. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

@sorrymess,feel free to walk around but with a Nigeria frend and not in an unholy hours(late nite),big cities are like dat sometimes hoodlums trying to take advantage but general Lagos is very safe unlike what some ppl are saying abt it.

Killenaule...
9. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

Thats what i thought anyway why would anyone kindnap me or rob me as i have nothing much to give anyone,.but soem vidoes on nigeria are scarey,..,.,.cheers,.

Lagos
10. Re: Any warnings for Lagos? Is it safe to walk around?

Be not worry,so many whites are residing in Nigeria,expecially in Lagos where I reside,it seems u 're coming for visitatn and not scoan church,so hook up to friend here,enjoy ursef n mind ur own business,stay kool pal.