We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Working in Lagos

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
reviews: 43
Working in Lagos

Am due to work in Lagos for a month from mid Feb. I will be working at the Apapa docks by day,and our hotel is on Victoria Island i think,wev been told it will either be Eko,Moorhouse or La Cour,does anybody know much about these place,iv read some reviews.Its my first time in Nigeria,and indeed Africa,and i am excited and abit worried at the same time. I have concerns about security,although i believe Lagos alot safer than the Delta regions.I have images of being pulled out of car/van during a go slow and hauled off for ransom,not that they would get much for me,especially from the firm i work for,mayby im overeacting,i hope so.I have had all my jabs and have my malaria tablets ready,but still have a great fear off being bitten when the bad boy mozzys come out to play when it gets dark,any tips,is malaria wide spread.Any tips or suggestions what do after work or at weekends,or is just best to stay at your hotel,whats the food like?,i also read its quite expensive,how much is a beer?(very important)maybe somebody whos there or been can help me out,any info or tips would be great

Lagos
1. Re: Working in Lagos

Hi Snozz...,

I just stumbled on this site from trying out www.nokianigeria. I may not visit again.

Am a lagos breed - Prim, proper and classic and work in a finance firm. what u can call collge grad from ur end.

My advice:

Your hotels are not very popular, but being on the V.Island, u're safe.

Both Apapa and V.I are usually alive in the evenings. (but not 4 folks like me. Want to be in my house with my wife.)

On the Island, join House On The Rock or RCCG or DAYSTAR - on the mainland - Ikeja. There u'll find out what Nigerians really are like and they can help u socialize and enjoy ur stay.

On Security, Lagos is very safe and nobdy will pull u out a the car/van during go-slow. Of cousre u may see some stuffs happenig but u are not their biz.

On malaria, my candid advice mosquitos are very real. but if your hotel is averagely ok, u'll experience little of them in your room. But get a MOSQUITO TREATED NET!!!!!

NB: Victoria Island is more safer than Apapa.

Have a good time and stay.

London, UK
reviews: 17
2. Re: Working in Lagos

I worked in Lagos for 5 years some time ago - at that time the Eko was a good hotel right on the beach. Traffic's always heavy but Apapa isn't too far from Victoria Island - the quickest route is across the harbour in a boat. Malaria is still a big problem - if you stay in a room with aircon you'll be ok - if you stay the night elsewhere make sure you have some mossy coils burning away - nets are good but the little fellas still get through. If you feel like you're getting the flu it could be malaria - the daily pills are the best.

There's lots of clubs and restraunts in Lagos - prices are roughly London levels. There was a sailing club on Victoria Island - and the beaches are very good - but don't wander off on your own too far esp past Maroko. Try Bar Beach, Badagari and Tarkwa Bay - also cruising the lagoons along the coast are amazing. Don't hang around the hotel its a deadly dull life.

Liverpool
3. Re: Working in Lagos

Thanks for the info,have found out today that we are definatly staying at La Cour,in Ikoyi.WhatS Ikoyi like compared to V.I,is it safe,all this time i have been thinking i would be staying on V.I,is there much difference,whats it like?

London, UK
reviews: 17
4. Re: Working in Lagos

Ikoyi is a more established with a fair number of old colonial houses in some parts. In truth both VI and Ikoyi are good places to be staying. They are right next to each other but VI backs onto the sea whilst Ikoyi backs onto the Lagos Lagoon - there's a small creek between the two islands.

I hope all goes well for you - Nigeria's an experience you won't forget.

Liverpool
5. Re: Working in Lagos

How come prices in Lagos are so high,me being rather naive thought prices would be lower(than UK) as its Nigeria,but iv read somewehere that Lagos is 20 most expensive city in the world,which really surprised me,does anyone have a breakdown of prices like for food,beer,water,cheers

cornwall
6. Re: Working in Lagos

Hya Snozzledog,I'm not an expert on Lagos but I am going back there again nxt wk. I enjoyed my stay last Oct. You will not have any trouble from any one, they shout O Ebo O Ebo, Welcome, Welcome. I just hope your single with no wife and kids at home? or no girlfriend that is going to pine for you? The females in Lagos are very cunning and very good at what they do. I should know as my husband has been there since last June and has fallen into the trap(as old men do getting attention from young girls) At the end of the day they want your money and an English Passport. Anyway drink bottles of Star Beer it's local brewed lager, very good and not as expensive as your imported beers, there quite a few English bars with xpats. My husband works in the docks and gets a river boat back, roads are impossible after 11am get the river boat to the Fikki Fikki club, it's a run down boat club but serves a purpose. Might even see you there?? Try and get a lotion that is more than 35% Deet, you will have no trouble with the little buggers then. Hope all goes well for you?

7. Re: Working in Lagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 19, 2009