We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base ourselves??

Which Isla de Ometepe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Osoyoos, Canada
reviews: 37
Where to base ourselves??

We are headed to Ometepe for four or five days next January as part of a five or six week Nica trip and I'm trying to figure out which town to make our home base while we are on Ometepe. Is there an advantage to being on the east coast to the west or vice versa or to being in one town as opposed to another? We are active, fit seniors and hope to do a volcano hike and to get to other recommended sites. We like to rent bikes and cycle, walk, hike, kayak and enjoy the scenery and local food and culture. We like the beach and might relax there for an hour or two but don't want to spend entire days basking in the sun. We are generally budget travellers but don't mind splurging if it is worth it. Interested in any and all opinions! Thanks!!

10 replies to this topic
Nicaragua
reviews: 46
1. Re: Where to base ourselves??

My recommendation is to stay in Santo Domingo, ths will be right in the middle of both Volcanoes. From here you can do different activities, you can easily rent a horse, a bike, a motorcycle, there is options to eat in the are, you can visit the Isthian river for kayaking and you are close to the starting points for hikes to either volcano. For accommodations i will try Villa Paraiso, Google them and check their web site,they have different type of accommodations all depending on your budget

Chichiriviche...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Where to base ourselves??

Look for a hotel between the two vulcanos...Merida, Balque, Santa Cruz all the tourist sight are in this area so if you stay there you are close to everything what tourist like to visit.

Salta

Osoyoos, Canada
3. Re: Where to base ourselves??

Thanks, both of you!!

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
4. Re: Where to base ourselves??

AS Rodolfo mention Playa Santo Domingo sounds like the spot for you as there are rent of horses, bikes, motorbikes, water spring is close the starting point to hike maderas is close right in front of the beach and many restaurants and hotels in the area.

ometepenicaragua.com/santodomingo/santodomin…

Byron.

http://byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Osoyoos, Canada
5. Re: Where to base ourselves??

Thanks, everyone. I think we have decided to split our time between Moyogalpa and Merida. Will do the easier volcano hike to the lookout on Conception, Charco Verde and Punta de Jesus Maria from there then move to Merida for a few days, kayak Rio Istiam and maybe do a day trip to Oya de Agua, Santo Domingo, petroglyphs from there.

Does anyone know how to book a flight from there to San Carlos. The flight is listed on the airline website but doesn't show up under the booking menu. Only flight available is back to Managua. I have emailed the airline twice but no response. I know the ferry is part of the whole Nicaragua experience but we would prefer to fly if possible...my old body is already rebelling at the thought of spending the night in a deck chair!

Chichiriviche...
reviews: 30
6. Re: Where to base ourselves??

Hi Claudia

Flights to Ometepe are brand new since about a months...I will take until they will updage the booking system and webpage...Thats my experience...Last year i was triying to book a flight and could not do that as they changed the flight schedule 1 months before....So it took over a months until the booking system was updated...Thats Nicaragua...

Salta

Osoyoos, Canada
7. Re: Where to base ourselves??

Well hopefully they get it done soon:)

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 2
8. Re: Where to base ourselves??

Hi, were you able to get a flight? My husband and I are leaving for Nica next week and we are sitll not sure what's the smoothest way to travel from Ometepe to San Carlos.

Nicaragua
reviews: 6
9. Re: Where to base ourselves??

We were in Ometepe 2 weeks ago, and there was still no flights landing there yet.

Osoyoos, Canada
10. Re: Where to base ourselves??

Flights are definitely flying to and from Ometepe. We flew in and out of there twice. Flights are not exactly punctual and they don't go where you planned at the time they should. Our flight was Ometepe to San Carlos. (It was supposed to go MGA to Ometepe to San Carlos to San Juan De Nicaragua). We departed Ometepe two hours late. The flight went MGA to San Carlos, then to Ometepe, then to SJN and finally to San Carlos, arriving four hours late.. On the return flight we were supposed to fly San Carlos to MGA direct and we went SC to SJN to Ometepe to MGA. That flight left 45 minutes early and arrived two hours late. Apparently this happens quite regularly because of passenger loads. I can hardly wait to see where our next flight takes us!

Reply to: Where to base ourselves??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted