We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 59
Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

We have a week in Morocco in December. We are flying into Marrakech, and then are looking to go to Ouarzazate and on to Merzouga. Is this unrealistic, given the amount of travelling involved? Will we just end up spending all our time in a bus? Are there any other shorter trips we can do from Marrakech more easily?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
1. Re: Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

Yes, it is unrealistic to do the desert trip if you have only one week. Stay in Marrakech, explore that and eventually around like to Asni for example or overnight trip to Ait BenHaddou, but do not much more.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

Agreed. A couple of day trips are possible in your given time. I would also suggest Asni for an over-nighter although Ouirgane may be preferable, and Essaouira on the Atlantic coast is a popular destination too.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
3. Re: Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

I actually think a week is just enough time to see Marrakech and do justice to a Merzouga trip.

Plan 3/4 nights for the roundtrip to Merzouga and then 3/4 nights in Marrakech.

Alternatively, Essaouira and a trip to the Atlas Mountains (Imlil, Ouirgane, Ourika etc) are popular trips from Marrakech.

Edited: 7:48 am, October 16, 2013
Igea Marina...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

Hi guys, more or less i have the same amount of time, 6 nights in total, but my plane lands in Marrakech late afternoon, so my first night it would be there and my two last the same (at least I want to spend a weekend in Marrakech..)

I'm travelling solo, using couchsurfing, do you think it should be better if I use public transpors to get to merzouga, (or if i just decide to travel around Marrakech) or join a small private tour with other people?

And if I want to join a tour Do you think it would be better to buy it there or book it on-line from my home?

Thank you very much!

Edited: 4:11 am, October 26, 2013
Pretoria
reviews: 5
5. Re: Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

I wouldnt try to cram Merzouga into one week. Its possible, but one day each way, it would be a shame not to have a night in a desert camp, and one day back. I think it's too tiring. Merzouga is worth a few days. And so is Marrakech!

Essouira on the Atlantic coast is 2 hours from Marrakech, gorgeous, plenty of buses. The best seaview apartment in the world is Cap Atlantique and the shopping and restaurants are wonderful.

Pretoria
reviews: 5
6. Re: Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

ps Sunset drinks at Taros Bar!

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 4
7. Re: Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

If you are looking for adventure I would recommend it. Yes it will be quite tiring but absolutely possible even by means of public transport.

Stay the first night in Marrakech, then head directly for Merzouga by taking the supratours bus at 0830, stay 1 night in a hotel and another night in the desert. Then ride a camel under the stars back to Merzouga in order to get on the early bus to Ouarzazate and stay your 4th night there. Check out Ait Benhaddou the next morning by grand taxi and make sure you return to Ouarzazate before the bus to Marrakech departs at 1600. Then enjoy your 5th and 6th nights in Marrakech. When combined, expect to spend 2 full days on public transport...

Of course it would be another story if you are looking for city breaks or a relaxing holiday on the beach... Have a great holiday!

8. Re: Travelling to and from Merzouga from Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 03, 2014