We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible for solo traveler to join a group desert stay?

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Possible for solo traveler to join a group desert stay?

Hi all

Apologies if similar questions have been asked but am currently in Morocco (and loving it :) and it's difficult to do a decent search of the forum as am typing on my phone.

I am a solo traveler and I found a desert tour from Marrakech that allowed me to join a small group (not an easy task). It's a 3 day return trip but as I want to continue on to Fes, I am going to separate from the group on the third day when they start traveling back to Marrakech. I am trying to decide what to do on that third day - whether to continue straight on to Fes or organise another night in the desert from Merzouga.

A few questions:

Will it be possible for me to find a tour once my group drops me off in Merzouga, that will be departing sometime later on that day or do most of these trips start early in the morning meaning I'll miss the departure times while walking around trying to find a tour? Also, are there tours that will allow me to join a group or will I have to go it alone? And finally, given that I'd just be after one night, am I likely to find a tour that will take me any deeper into the desert than the tour from Marrakech? I suppose I don't want to spend an additional night in the desert but end up in the same kind of location / camp as the night I will have spent with my Marrakech group.

Thanks so much!

6 replies to this topic
Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 2
1. Re: Possible for solo traveler to join a group desert stay?

Hi there,

I am also a solo traveller looking for a desert tour and can only find private tours. It would be great if you could share the tour you found.

Thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
2. Re: Possible for solo traveler to join a group desert stay?

You can also take a Supratour bus from Merzouga at evening 7PM and continue to Fes.

You can certainly find some tour in Merzouga who can offer you the trip by 4x4 behind sand dunes.

Edited: 7:36 am, October 19, 2013
Sydney
3. Re: Possible for solo traveler to join a group desert stay?

Hi Wonderer,

I avoided putting the name of the company in my post because it seems that a lot of messages that include company names get reported as spam / deleted. Have not quite worked this out. I will send you a private message with the details of the company I found :)

Turku
reviews: 55
4. Re: Possible for solo traveler to join a group desert stay?

Hi,

I just booked my flight to Marrakech for March. I am solo and trying to find a company to accomodate a solo traveler to join a group. I appriciate it if you can share the company you found.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
5. Re: Possible for solo traveler to join a group desert stay?

little_petals - I think it is clear that you are not a spammer!

So feel free to name the company you found who will accomodate solo travellers as it may help others, maybe also give price details etc

Stuart, Florida
reviews: 17
6. Re: Possible for solo traveler to join a group desert stay?

It is very easy to get into the desert with a local riad. You can also use Easy to book desert camp.com for a one night trip I did many solo trips to morocco and enjoyed the freedom of picking my guide, meals and side trip. I like a smaller desert camp exoerience so I always go in with kaykay from riad aicha in hassi labied near merzouga he is the website wwe, easytobookdesertcamp.com

let me know if you have questions

di labied

Reply to: Possible for solo traveler to join a group desert stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Merzouga