We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one or two nites in bivouac

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 5
one or two nites in bivouac

we could plan our trip to spend one or two nites in bivouac in desert. Would you do that? or spend one nite in auberge/inn and second in bivouac? Curious that most reviewers (if not all) seem to only spend one nite.

Thanks

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: one or two nites in bivouac

Hi,

Unless you go for one of the luxury camps the toilet facilities tend to be rather basic (dig a hole in the sand and hope no-one else has been to that exact spot recently) which may explain why most folk only stay for one night.

Stuart, Florida
reviews: 18
2. Re: one or two nites in bivouac

It is difficult to answer this question for someone not knowing how they like to travel...budget or 5 star, and if they have ever been to a third world country.The reason i say that is each time I travel to a third world country I find I am less hung up on the things I think i need or should have. It certainly is a cleansing to just sit back and take the nature in. I have gone to the desert twice and have stayed two nights both times. Perhaps you only need one time to cross it off your bucket list. For me, it is a serenity you don't find many places. It helps to spend more than one night by going with a small group or a small camp. If I had 20 people around me i wouldn't probably stay two nights. The nomad I travel in the desert with to his personal camp has at the most 6 people. Sometimes it is just 2 or 3.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
3. Re: one or two nites in bivouac

Actually I think it not depend so much of no toilet in the camp as of the amount of days the people have in theirs holiday. Often they try to see the most of Morocco within one short time. So they have max 2 days to spend in the desert. And because camel trek begin afternoon and many tourists come to the desert later (for example bus from Marrakech arrive at 9PM, but even they who go by car can arrive late) so thay stay this first night at some accommodation and next day they go into the sand dunes.

Lafayette, Louisiana
reviews: 25
4. Re: one or two nites in bivouac

What are your thoughts on the safety issues of sleeping in the open in the desert that close to Algeria with the unrest that is going on now there? We are a little apprehensive about this but would like to experience culture of Morocco.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
5. Re: one or two nites in bivouac

It is no problem and you not need to be worry about safety at all, not only in the desert.

Denver, Colorado...
reviews: 6
6. Re: one or two nites in bivouac

Hello, I am hoping to go to Merzouga when I am in Morocco in a few months. Would you be willing to share contact info of the person whose camp you travel to?

Thanks!

Lafayette, Louisiana
reviews: 25
7. Re: one or two nites in bivouac

Is the nomad you travel with a guide and does he do the three dy 2 night tour form Marrakech to Fes and are you allowed to share his name on here?

Casablanca
8. Re: one or two nites in bivouac

see the desert Tours recommendations at the following link then check the links there and make your decision after contacting reviewers about any of your travel concerns and interests.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums?ff=9195&geo=293730&scope=2&q=desert+tour+companies&s=D

Good Luck and have fun in your trip.

9. Re: one or two nites in bivouac

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2014