We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sabadell, Spain
Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

Hello !

I'm traveling to Merzouga in late March, and i'm really interested in riding a camel into the erg chebbi sand dunes for one or 2 nights in nomad tents, after looking on tripadvisor i fnd this link with itinerary for 'Merzouga camel ride and nights in desert: morocco-excursion.com/nights-in-erg-chebbi-d…

But i have a few quetsions:

- Becouse i'm going to spend the night in desert, is a room really needed?

- is hot in March ? how many litres of water we will need ?

- It is possible to sleap outside or it's still cold ? dangerous ?

Thx for ur help !

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

See here for much advice on desert trips:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k3995…

There are many companies that offer these excursions.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
2. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

You can do your trip by bus or rent a car, it is easy and not difficult at all to go self. And you can enjoy more and get much better experience of that.

You can search after guide or tour when you are in Merzouga and they arrange for you all. Even how much water you should have etc. You not need to have a room of course.

In March it is not hot, but it can be hot. Once I was there just in end of March and it was hot, but not so terrible as it can be in the Summer. In sand dunes can be colder at night but in the camp are blankets so you not need be worry about to have cold. It is not dangerous, but don' t go alone there.

Tangier, Morocco
3. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

My advice is to book the camel trek tour in advance, not until you reach Merzouga ( Read this : tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304017-i10021-k58… )

It's better to have a room to leave you luggage and take only what you need for the night in desert.

In march you can sleap outside BUT with 4 blankets, and it's not dangerous

Tangier, Morocco
4. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

And don't worry about water, in March is not hot , you will not need a lot of water

new york
reviews: 5
5. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

If I rent a car, do I need a 4 x 4? What kind of car do you recommend renting and do you recommend any particular company?

Stockholm, Sweden
6. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

You not need to have 4x4, such as Dacia Logan is good car, costs approx 30EUR per day.

Marrakech, Morocco
7. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

If you want to do this trip it's better take a bus (SUPRATOURS)from Marrakech to Merzouga

Paris
8. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

What is the distance between Marrakech and Merzouga ?

Stockholm, Sweden
9. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

Marrakech - Merzouga is about 550km, it take around 12 hours by bus. By car also, but you cannot do this route nonstop, you need 2 days for this trip.

First day Marrakech - Ouarzazate with visit Ait BenHaddou and other interesting places ther, or Marrakech - Tinerhir with visit Todra Gorge and even Dades if you have time. Next day you can reach Merzouga.

You can do so also by bus, check www.oncf.ma,

Mallorca
10. Re: Camel trekking in Merzouga, night in Erg Chebbi desert

The distance between Marrakech & Merzouga (desert) is 500KM through the atlas mountains .

The bus depart from Marrakech at 08:00 and arrives to Merzouga 21-22:00