We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

desert camel trip from Merzouga

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 6
desert camel trip from Merzouga

Hello,

I'm planning a trip and have heard from others who have done a desert trip, that it can be a bit of a let down....they don't go far into the desert, (a one night trip), don't get to see the big dunes, can still see cars and villages...in other words, don't have solitude and the surroundings one would expect.

From many of the reviews I have read on TripAdvisor, though, this doesn't seem to be the case! Is it possible to have very different experiences? Will you surrounded by big dunes? How many hours from Merzouga are the average camel trek?

Any information would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

San Francisco
reviews: 10
1. Re: desert camel trip from Merzouga

I too have gathered this impression, that many people sort of want to have the sleeping outside experience in the dunes, but they're indifferent to how far they go out and they like having the convenience of being so close to the roads/lodging.

I'm planning such a trip for late April of this year.

I'm definitely more of a city chic, but I can't wait to go to the desert, and I hope fairly deep into the desert and hang out in a camp. I'd like to be pretty far out and I'm not interested in any places that are walking distance to the riad.

I've been doing tons of research and will continue to do so, but appreciate recommendations for specific riads/camps that will offer a more "remote" experience!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
2. Re: desert camel trip from Merzouga

There's two main areas of sand dunes in Morocco, one near Merzouga, the others (note plural here) near Zagora.

Erg Chebbi near Merzouga measures about 25km north to south and around 7km east to west, so whilst it's definitely possible to get out of sight of the 70 or so hotels that lie in the lee of the dunes, it's not somewhere that you could trek for several days.

South of Zagora are three or more areas of dunes. Erg Tinfou is very small, less than 1 square km. Erg Lihoudi is low dunes not much more than a metre or so high. The main area is Erg Chigaga which is about 40km west of M'hamid. If you have Google Earth (free download) you can view three of the bivis using the following GPS waypoints.

Bivi Ismael: N29 49.692 W6 11.969

Bivi Azalay: N29 49.070 W6 10.540

Bivi Chigaga: N29 50.708 W6 12.196

Tangier, Morocco
3. Re: desert camel trip from Merzouga

Here is some informations : tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304017-i10021-k60…

4. Re: desert camel trip from Merzouga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 19, 2014