We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trkkers Lodge vs Uncle Tans and ransport

Which Sandakan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra
reviews: 1
Trkkers Lodge vs Uncle Tans and ransport

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are planning on goging to Sabah in October/November. Wondering about Trekker's Lodge vs Uncle Tans and also, how to get from Kinabalu mountain to the lodges?

Thankyou!

Kota Kinabalu...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Trkkers Lodge vs Uncle Tans and ransport

Hi Muggas,

Kinabalu Park, at the foot of the mountain, is 2 hours drive from KK and Sandakan is on the other coast of Sabah - some 10 hours or so drive away (guesstimate).

Once you've prepared for this, outside the entrance to Kinabalu Park is where a lot of the long distance busses from KK to Sandakan actually stop - so if there's space, you can hop on.

I think you can actually make a reservation in Ranau town, if you didn't do so in KK. Ranau (they have a KFC, considered developed) is past Kundasang (bad roads, lots of vegetables and not much else), another 30 minutes along the road.

Borneo
2. Re: Trkkers Lodge vs Uncle Tans and ransport

Hi,

Been to Uncle Tan's and boy oh boy....! Wat an experience. Generally cleaning & bathing water is river water which is 'cafe late' but they sale bottled water for RM4/1litre and all monies goes into their staff Co op. A fellow guest said to me that she hass never been so dirty in her life....Wow!!!!

Am from the city and u'd never know what is river life until you camped out at Uncle Tan's. Guides are so trained in the scientific names of all living creatures around the river. Get ready to see the storm storck which only migrate to Kinabantangan River once a year! Became an avid bird watcher after that experience! Life changing!

But if you want clean pump water & ensuite toilet facilities do stay in the cabins along the river. Prices are not much different but experience is out of this world.....

Enjoy!!!

Wales
reviews: 1
3. Re: Trkkers Lodge vs Uncle Tans and ransport

Uncle Tans all the way it was Amazing to see wild pigmy elephants and wild orangutans in the trees above our camp .

but you will have to rough it a little but thats what makes it real !

so be prepared to dogde leeches have mango snakes in your hut and nesty monkeys steal your bag if you can put up with brown water for your hair and body or not shower for a couple of days then you will enjoy all they have to offer.

Plus you know that big business isnt getting all the money from this the lost boys as i know them all love nature and take the money back to thier familys.

go to uncle tans because in a few years time there wont be nothing like this around animals are becoming rarer on the river as platation owner kill elephants and logging is destroying most of the forrest for rubber plants.

4. Re: Trkkers Lodge vs Uncle Tans and ransport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 25, 2009