We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for lodging for All Inclusive River Cruise ?

Which Sandakan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 16
Recommendations for lodging for All Inclusive River Cruise ?

My family of 2 adults and 2 kids will be spending 4 days in July in Sandakan. We arrive on Day 1 at 1000 and depart on Day 4 at 1425.

Having gone through the forum we have decided to spend our limited time at a lodging which caters mainly for wildlife cruises and is all inclusive with transport (to & fro Sandakan or airport), food, boat trips and accommodation included. Either Day 1 or Day 4 could be spend in town or Sepilok etc.

We are not luxury travellers but I would rather avoid camping/backpacking. Happy with budget accommodation with attached toilet and preferably with air-cond.

However, I am having difficulty finding out what lodges are there along the Kinabatangan River. Could I get recommendations especially from those who have been on such trips ? Many Thanks.

Perth, Australia
11. Re: Recommendations for lodging for All Inclusive River Cruise ?

Thanks staynaway. Divedownbelow are very prompt at replying and they volunteered the info of getting ones own taxi at approx. RM35.

Can I have feedback on which feeding time (morn or aft) tends to attract the orang utans at Sepilok or is it pot luck again ?

Does the entrance fee go by day or by 24 hours ? Are there also other places to visit at Sepilok within walking distance of the Sepilok Nature Resort ? Thanks.

west australia perth
reviews: 40
12. Re: Recommendations for lodging for All Inclusive River Cruise ?

G,DAY.

Yes we found DDB to be very good, yes pot luck with what you see, we went five times and it was a mixed bag, two orangutan in the morning and then 12 in the afternoon but the next afternoon just two or three. You purchase the ticket in the morning and this also allows you to get in for the afternoon feeding as well. They also have night walks through the park, 6pm start for $20RM the resort charges $100RM. About 20min walk is the Rainforest Discovery Centre [RDC] . One thing not to miss is the Labuk Bay Proboscis Sanctuary, DDB can organise to take you there but it would be cheaper to get a taxi from the resort but dont get them to book it for you just go out the front gate and there are generally a few there.

Perth, Australia
13. Re: Recommendations for lodging for All Inclusive River Cruise ?

staynaway- thanks again for all the extra info.

Since you feel Labuk Bay Proboscis Sanctuary is worth going, I will find out taxi fares from picking us up from the airport, taking us to Labuk Bay before bringing us to the Sepilok Nature Resort. If reasonable, then we will go for it.

We will then most likely take the 3D2N package with DDB which includes Sepilok and a visit to Gomantong Caves and that will cover our whole Sandakan trip. After that we are off to climb Mount Kinabalu, an experience that the kids will forever treasure.

14. Re: Recommendations for lodging for All Inclusive River Cruise ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, April 06, 2013