We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if you are looking for nice beach don't come to pangkor!

Perugia, Italy
reviews: 40
if you are looking for nice beach don't come to pangkor!

fnally pulau pangkor is definetly nasty...

all the beaches are very dirty and the ships unload near the coast...

most of the hotels in teluk nipah are disgusting and smelly....there are few option ok.... but compare other places are expensive....

so what to do in pulau pangkor??? really boring!

what a disappointment

Adelaide
reviews: 3
1. Re: if you are looking for nice beach don't come to pangkor!

Hi Danibaf.

We are planning 5 days in Pangkor with our teenage children at Christmas. What appealed to us was being able to ride bikes around and check out the fishing villages and temples, a bit of jungle trekking, taking a boat to the nearby islands for some snorkelling, a bit of chilling on the beach/by the pool, hopefully some nice seafood on the beach, and seeing the hornbills come in to feed. We like the sound of the Sandy Bay Beach Resort. We don't want Party Central but we need enough activities to keep the kids entertained. Do you think we will be disappointed with Pangkor or, given what we are looking for, do you think it might suit us more than it did you?

Penang Island...
reviews: 9
2. Re: if you are looking for nice beach don't come to pangkor!

Hello Danibaf

sorry you did niot enjoy Pangkor but your description does not sound similar to my experience of the island.

Angiedaz

We stayed at the Pangkor Sandy Beach Resort in Pasir Bogak. We took one of their 3 chalets whcih have an uninterrupted view of the beach. They are small but the little verandahs out the front are perfect for beach watching.

The remainder of the hotel is a new 2 storey complex.

The hotel is well run and was very clean. Breakfast was simple but adequate.

Pangkor is a simple local family destination.

The beach at Pasir Bogak was lovely and its setting was extremely pleasant. There is a boat service on the beach. The operators were not pushy and they did not interfere in any way with my enjoyment of the beach.

While we were there we drove all around the island. (the motor bike renter arranged for us to hire his brother's car for a few days as I have little motor bike experience. Next time perhaps I will do the motor bikes as the cars on the island are few and far between.)

Food is excellent. The fishing village just up the orad from the port is an excellent place for lunch with its Chinese hawker stalls. In the evenings each town has sea food restaurants that are good value. The Chinese operated extablishments have beer whereas the Mlalay ones do not.

Plenty of mini marts for day to day supplies (even ice cubes for your drinks on the balcony). The Chinese shops in the fishing village sell beer and spirits. The mini marts being mainly operated by Malays do not sell alcohol. (this is the same throughout Malaysia.)

Not sure what the OP means by the "boats" unloading. The active port is on the other side of the island and as mentioned I only noticed the few beach operators.

Finally.. the hornbills are fantastic. You can often get within a few metres of them and their size and power is amazing.

I see you are thinking of Christmas. Malaysian school holidays end in the first week of January. Pangkor is a very popular local resort so make sure you book well in advance.

It is one of my favourite places so I hope you enjoy it.

cheers

Edited: 4:40 am, March 04, 2013
Medan
reviews: 27
3. Re: if you are looking for nice beach don't come to pangkor!

excellent description by el dorado. i know pangkor certainly isn't in the best beaches of the world category. but it has its charm. water quality is not the best and if you have done some pretty good snorkeling elsewhere you might be disappointed.

but i find the life of the locals there to be fascinating, wandering around off the tourist area to soak in the atmosphere of how the local ppl live.

it worth to cross over to coral island (right there opposite coral bay) the main beach facing back toward mainland pangkor is nice. and a walk to the end of coral beach where you will find a lovely little chinese temple (lin je kong temple) to enjoy the sun set

btw do take care when you ride a bike around the island, a lot of the road is pretty narrow, steep and traffic can be pretty fast

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 46
4. Re: if you are looking for nice beach don't come to pangkor!

Like El_Dorado, I too don't quite relate to OP's description of beaches in Pangkor. I usually stay at Pangkor Island Beach Resort ... clean clear water, good beach. Ok it's not quite East Coast but it's a quick decent getaway for KLites.

Adelaide
reviews: 3
5. Re: if you are looking for nice beach don't come to pangkor!

Thanks so much everyone for that information. I feel reassured that Pangkor is the right spot for us and thanks to El_Dorado I now also know where to get the beers to drink on that verandah ...

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
reviews: 62
6. Re: if you are looking for nice beach don't come to pangkor!

think danibaf was walking round with her eyes shut?? for one the boats offload in town where there isnt a beach its also where the ferrys come in bringing the guests for the hotels

granted i have seen better beaches but i wouldnt say its the worst iv seen quiet clean enough to sunbath on and to swim in the sea , coral bay being my favourite then you walk to to the shacks to eat ,

granted some on the guest houses are run down ,but believe me there are plenty of clean and decent ones to be had my fave being nipah guest house this place being that clean you could not call it dirty or smelly and the hornbills come in and you are able to feed them, and neither could be said for any of the other places iv stayed !! plenty of miny marts to get the essential supplies beers and soft drinks, there is so much to see and do on the island even take a speedboat trip !which i found amazing seeing as i hate boats !! pasir bogart beach is also great to sunbathe and swim at , so how you can say pangkor is dirty and boring i dont know ???

7. Re: if you are looking for nice beach don't come to pangkor!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, April 27, 2014