We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Kilifi to Tsavo East

Tunbridge Wells
reviews: 18
Driving from Kilifi to Tsavo East

I shall be staying in Kilifi in November and I'm considering hiring a car and driving to Tsavo East. Does anyone know the best route? How long will it take to get to Sala Gate or Buchuma Gate? Also, I've seen posts about an area called Hell's Kitchen - is that worth the drive?

england
reviews: 16
1. Re: Driving from Kilifi to Tsavo East

Hi Motmot . The shortest routes to either gate involve a few hours on dirt roads. Otherwise you'd need to go to Mombasa first.

I wouldn't consider driving myself and would use a local driver/guide.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: Driving from Kilifi to Tsavo East

You can enter Tsavo East (from the back) from Malindi. From Malindi, TE is apprx 2 hours drive.

Hells Kitchen is worth visiting.

Edited: 9:28 am, October 09, 2013
Tunbridge Wells
reviews: 18
3. Re: Driving from Kilifi to Tsavo East

Many thanks for your prompt replies - I think I'll take the advice about getting a car and driver.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
4. Re: Driving from Kilifi to Tsavo East

It simply depends on your destination in TE. With respect, it's a bit like asking "What's the best route from Birmingham to Wales?"!

In most cases, you'll find the route via Mombasa and Buchuma Gate is the easiest.

Richard Trillo

5. Re: Driving from Kilifi to Tsavo East

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...