We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

HK
reviews: 11
Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

We will be going to Tanzania and Kenya for a 13-day trip in early July 2012, and our itinerary will include Tanrangire NP, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti NP, Masai Mara and Amboseli.

However, we are still struggling whether we should visit Lake Manyara or Lake Nakuru. Can any one give us some advice and comments on which one is better?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

Hav'ent been to Manyara myself, but Lake Nakuru is lovely place to visit. It's both a Rfit Valley lake as well as a National Park where you see varied wildlife.

Have a look 2 this recent "uncut" vid.

tripadvisor.com/…39472104

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
2. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

I've visited both and think there isn't much to choose in terms of wildlife. I think I would opt for whichever gives you the best travel itinerary. By that I mean is Nakuru a good stop-off on route to the Mara or is Manyara a better break on route to Serengeti...that type of thing.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
3. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

I think Val is correct. Both NPs lie 'on the way to somewhere else' so it depends which fits in to the itinerary better.

I am a fan of Lake Manyara but do regret that most folks treat it more like a drive through and come out disappointed. If you only have little time then forget it.

Nakuru on the other hand is more zoo like and certain sightings virtually guaranteed so a short trip through works OK.

Rhino in Nakuru but no Elephants. Lots in Lake Manyara and very friendly they are too..

HK
4. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

Thx for all your advice, but do you know the traveling time by jeep between Tanrangire NP / Serengeti and Masai Mara / Amboseli?

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
5. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

Time between Tarangire and Ngorongoro rim is around 3 hours or less.

From there the Serengeti stretches for miles. It is the size of Switzerland.

To the central part around Serenera will be about another three hours but this is a Game drive in its own right and can take hours if you stop to look at the wonderful wildlife.

I have never driven from Maasai Mara to Nairobi but understand it is around 6 or 7 hours. From Nairobi to Amboseli you should allow another three.

So that who trip will be a full and hard day.

HK
6. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

I see. If that's the case, seems that going to Lake Nakuru will make our route from Masai Mara to Amboseli more comfortable as we can have a stop over for 1 day (instead of driving 9 hours all the way). Many thanks for your advice!

Bristol
reviews: 45
7. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

We did Amboseli, then Lake Nakuru/Lake Naivasha and then the Masai Mara.

You do end up criss-crrossing Nairobi which is a bit of pain (traffic can be awful)

We did Masai Mara to Nairobi last December and it took no longer than 5 hours ( and that was on the "bad" road as our driver put it - the better road had been washed away in places due to heavy rain just before we travelled so was unpassable). We left the Masai Mara after breakfast and arrived in Nairobi for lunch. This was with one stop and very bad traffic in Nairobi.

I agree if you only have a short time do Lake Nakuru you will see a lot of game and I actually really liked it (despite as Mfuwe says it feeling a little like a "safari park" in this country.

Augsburg, Germany
reviews: 5
8. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

Hi,

also been to both places and it depends on what you want. Lake Nakuru offers great chances for seeing rhinos and Leopards.

But i think it really makes more sense to put in between Amboseli and Masai Mara.

And in my eyes it is not possible to go straigth from Masai Mara to Amboseli or from Amboseli to Mara....

During our both times in Northern Tanzania we went from Tarangire once to Lake Manyara and to Ngorongoro on our way to Serengeti - so no idea how long it would take if you go straight from Tarangire to Serengeti. But usually the way is not so bad and to do this might be possible.

Bye

Chrissy

HK
9. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

Just wondering Shepofbristol's comment of 'criss-crossing' between Nairobi. So there isn't any direct route from Masai Mara to Lake Nakuru, but will have to go through Nairobi? If that's the case, how long is the drive from Nairobi to Lake Nakuru?

Bristol
reviews: 45
10. Re: Lake Nakuru or Lake Manyara better?

Hi I should explain. We started in Nairobi, then went to Amboseli then back across Nairobi to Lake Naivasha/ lake Nakuru. We actually stayed at Lake Naivasha and went from there to the Masai Mara (via Narok) and then back to Nairobi. So we didn't actually go direct from lake Nakuru to the Masai Mara so I'm not sure which route the drivers use for this but it wont be via Nairobi for that bit.

Our hotel in Nairobi wasn't the right side of town for the direction we were heading to/from so we ended up crossing Nairobi several times on the trip. Something to bear in mind if you are staying in nairobi at the start or end of your trip.

Get answers to your questions about Lake Nakuru National...
More Lake Nakuru National Park Topics