We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can Tho or not?

Which Can Tho hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warners Bay...
reviews: 34
Can Tho or not?

Hi All, we will be in Vietnam in April 2012, as part of our trip we will be going to PP from Chau Doc up the Mekong River. My question is should we go to Can Tho for Mekong Delta or not. We will be in Chau Doc for 2 days before going up to PP on the ferry , I know there are floating fish markets there we could visit. So as we will be seeing life on the Mekong on this trip to PP we are not sure if it is worth going to Can Tho as well. Any suggestions would be of help. Thanks to one and all.

Saigon
reviews: 14
1. Re: Can Tho or not?

Cantho is worth visiting as it is really nice fun city and biggest floating market of cai rang. Your trip to Phnompenh on speedboat is not very much to see daily activities on the river as it is really wide and fast ... you get bored sometimes when you spend too long on boat

Give Cantho a go

Cheers

Nha Trang, Vietnam
reviews: 24
2. Re: Can Tho or not?

I might suggest spending your night in Can Tho and then do a late morning tour of Chau Doc before crossing the border and continuing on. (provided afternoon boat service available)

Owee

www.owee58.com

Warners Bay...
3. Re: Can Tho or not?

Hi owee, we were thinking of leaving HCMC in the morning to go to Can Tho spend afternoon and next morning there, then going onto Chau Doc in early afternoon book tickets for ferry to PP have that night and next day/night look around CD and then get the 8am ferry to PP as there is no afternoon ferry to PP.

Warners Bay...
4. Re: Can Tho or not?

Hi Heinzhuynh, I thought it might be worth it going to Can Tho, I know that the Mekong is very long and wide as I use to live in Thailand and have travelled on the Mekong before although it is along time ago now. I have heard from other travellers from here in Australia that this trip had been the highlight of their trip to VN and CAMB and I think my husband and 13yo son would enjoy the experience of seeing life on the Mekong away from the touristy side of things. Thanks for your input much appreciated.

Birmingham, United...
5. Re: Can Tho or not?

yes go

Can Tho is a good base for what ever you want to do and cheaper than HCM

Adelaide
reviews: 195
6. Re: Can Tho or not?

We did the reverse in early October: PP to Chau Doc by fast boat and road to Can Tho. We were pleasantly surprised at just how pretty and vibrant Can Tho was. It's a lovely city, and much larger than Chau Doc, with plenty of good bars and eateries along the river.

Also the floating market is the largest on the Mekong. It's well worth a visit; but try to get there early in the morning when activity is at its peak. Most guides assume that "westerners" don't want to get up early enough to see the market at its best.

I'd definitely chalk Can Tho into your Itinerary. Just remember that by road it's about 3-4 hours travel to Chau Doc, so you need to factor that travel time into your fast ferry schedule.

Australia
reviews: 42
7. Re: Can Tho or not?

Can Tho is a non event. There's nothing there. It won't give you a Mekong experience - it's a small city.

Whatever you do don't take the 5 am boat trip from Can Tho to the floating markets - it's a yawnfest in a tiny boat, baking your brains in the hot sun for 7 hours.

If you feel the need to see veggies in a boat I think you can go to Cai Rang by bus then get on a little boat to the floating market.

Personally I'd do a homestay in the Mekong then head to Chau Doc which has a much better boat trip around the floating village. Also has a great local market, and Sam Mountain at sunset.

Stay at the Thuan Loi Hotel in Chau Doc - it's on the river and the the PP boat leaves from the landing attached to the Hotel.

Warners Bay...
8. Re: Can Tho or not?

Hi Westendgaz, thanks for that. We were thinking of leaving HCMC prob by private car/taxi 9am head to Cha Tho arriving around 2pm look around, try book a boat along the river for next morning, then in early arvo get car/taxi to Chau Doc that night book fast ferry to PP and spend 2n CD then get ferry to PP, do you think this is enough time to check things out, also how did you get from CD to CT.

Adelaide
reviews: 195
9. Re: Can Tho or not?

Should give you plenty of time Sylvia. Despite poster 7's comments we found Can Tho to be very interesting in itself, and the markets were great to visit. Our tour operator in Hanoi arranged pick-up for us at the fast boat terminal in Chau Doc, and delivery to our hotel in Can Tho. (We were travelling as 2 couples.) The trip itself took almost 4 hours because of trafic, local floods, and apparently a 40K/hr speed limit over the entire distance, which meant that a lot of the journey was done in darkness. looking at your plans you won't have that problem.

10. Re: Can Tho or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 26, 2012