We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Which Ko Tao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oldenzaal, The...
reviews: 35
Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Hello,

Would like to go a day snorkeling whit my wife on Koh Tao.

I think we go one day by longtail boat.

What are the best places to see sharks, turtle and ofcourse whaleshark, i now.... you have to be lucky to see the whaleshark.

Best and warm regards from holland.

(temperature MINUS 15... brrrrrr)

Port Elizabeth...
reviews: 47
1. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Hi Martin

You can hire a longtail boat for the day from the pier area for 1500bht - we were taken all around the island but unfortunately the sea was quite rough on the east side of the island and we only managed to snorkel at one spot which was protected from the swell -Hin Wong Bay (no beach so jump in from the boat, very deep) before going to Mango Bay and Nang Yuan Island - both very busy but still beautiful.

In hindsight we would have been better off going on an organised trip on a bigger boat, would have met other people and it included lunch - 650bht each.

If you hire an ATV you can get to the remote snorkelling beaches on the east coast.

Have fun exploring and enjoy Ko Tao - we loved it!

Fiona from sunny South Africa

Edited: 10:08 am, December 01, 2010
Bangkok
reviews: 2
2. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Hin Khao was reccommend

Ko Tao, Thailand
3. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

A round the island personal longtail will cost 2000B and these are fun for going where you want to go - however weather is a factor and sometimes its just not possible. The longtail drivers will know best so ask where is possible.

An organised tour on a larger boat will take you where they choose buts its cheaper and offeres greater comfort and access in choppy seas.

Many places are accessible by road but I would strongly advise you to take a taxi rather than bike - some of the roads to these bays are terrible ...

South Mae Haad is lovely and you can walk there and to Janson Bay which is a little further south - although there is a charge to get on the beach there.

You can kayak from Mae Haad south to these and a few further bays too.

Aow Leuk is lovely to snorkel and you can take a taxi here 400B one way - a lovely spot to spend the day....

Tanote is accessible by taxi too

Mango Bay, Japanese Gardens (Koh Nangyuan) are best by boat.

Laem Tiem is a 700B taxi ride one way and is best by boat....

Had Tien or Shark Bay has now so many restrictions by land that the best way is by boat and this is where you see sharks.

Turtles you have to be lucky but I have seen them snorkelling in south Mae Haad and Leam Thien.

Im sorry but whalesharks are virtually never seen by the coast - they visit the more open ocean dive sites...

If I was to take my own longtail I would go to Japanese Garndens and Mango Bay and Leam Thien and Aow Leuk.

Sai Deng is a good spot for lunch yet all beaches apart from Japanese ann Mango make great food / drink pit stops.

I live here so if you want more info - get intouch.

Vancouver
reviews: 77
4. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Thanks for the excellent info on snorkelling on Koh Tao!

The Netherlands
reviews: 25
5. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Hi, I'm not a very seasoned snorkeler and don't want to bump into any sharks. Are they dangerous? Where is the best place on Koh Tao to snorkel where we will see lots of fish but no sharks? We are coming from Chumphon for a day trip. I believe the Catamaran is the best way to travel. Any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks

Ko Tao, Thailand
6. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Hi there!

The sharks in Shark Bay are not dangerous - they scare easily and are more afraid of you thean you of them - really.

Myu favourite place to snorkle is Aow Leuk and you are higly unlikely to run into sharks there... - pretty with lots of fish and on the whole calm too...perfect.

If you are coming from Chumpon for the day then you need to be on the catamaran whic is called the Lomprayah.....

Have fun!

hong kong
7. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Hi, we're a family with 2 children (4yrs / 6yrs). We planed to visit Kho Tao on this Dec. 17. But from some reviews, Dec. is not a good season to be there, coz the sea will be rough and the water visibility won't be good for snorkeling.

Now we begin to worry about this because we have young children traveling together.

Looking for some suggestions. Many thanks!!

Edited: 4:38 pm, November 14, 2011
Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Ko Tao
reviews: 44
8. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Hi

Yes you are correct, the weather in December can prove snorkelling difficult. Of course with the weather nothing is certain.

Do you want suggestions for alternative areas? If so take a look at the west coast of Thailand as that has a good chance of nice weather that time of yeah. Khao Lak and Phi Phi maybe places to start.

December is high season on the west coast so you will pay more and it will be busier than Koh Tao.

hong kong
9. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

We've decided to go to Khao Lak instead.

Cape Town
reviews: 4
10. Re: Snorkeling on Koh Tao

We will be there round about the 20th July. Would love some advise

Andre And Chelli

Get answers to your questions about Ko Tao