We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

Which Ko Phangan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beijing
reviews: 10
New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

Hi, we are family of 4 with 2 teenagers of 14 and 16, is the full moon new years party Ok for them? They are very grown up and like to dance, but I don't know if it's a relatively safe environment. We live in Asia and we been to the monthly parties in Gili T in Indonesia, but I understand this is much, much bigger.

Which beach will you advise to go as I understand there are different beaches. What will be the best place to go for a family?

cheers

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 44
1. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

Hi

Do you mean they will go by themselves or are you chaperone them.

I have never been to the party and never want to go even when I used live in koh Samui. But from what others people ( my husband included) told me he would never let our son ( 15 years) go there until he is well and truly over 20s that's said something.

But the choice is your.

Beijing
reviews: 10
2. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

Hi, I meant we are all going together, NOT by themselves, at the end of my post I asked 'what will be the best place to go as a family? (in reference to FMP)'. Sorry, maybe my post was not clear enough 😃

cheers

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 44
3. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

If you're going as the family then it should be ok. As far as I know the party is in Haad Rin maybe you can park yourselves at some bar and then your children and walk around and report back every hour or so.

Sorry cant be any more help. Hopefully some of koh phagnan's DEs would be able to help you out.

Have a great trip & travel safe :)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

I wouldn't take teenagers to the full moon party at New Year, it's not a family oriented event, more about drink and drugs so not a place for 14 and 16 year olds.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 51
5. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

Lots of drugs/alcohol consumption with people being rather stupid. :D

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
6. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

Your call, whatever, look after your belongings if you do go.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
reviews: 50
7. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

hi guys

ive been myself and have sent many others there including families with teenagers

they all had a great time

the full moon party is exactly what you want it to be

if you are responsible you will be fine and have fun

no body forces you to drink and party ????,so the choice is yours

its very well managed now with safe crash out areas ,police patrols ,emergencey sevices with communications to take care of the foolish ones

,they usually charge 100 thai baht entrance fee to pay for the beach/area clean up after the party

which i must say is usually much cleaner than most beaches on samui

cheers

Dean cleeton

Calgary, AB
reviews: 15
8. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

My daughter just went to the FMP in Feb and she is a seasoned Spring Breaker in Cancun. She said the FMP made Cancun look like preschool. Extremely drunk and high people stepping and spilling all over over them...in her words 'It was gross'...and she's 21 LOL.

Edited: 11:51 am, March 06, 2013
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Phangan, Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 42
9. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

They are way too young to watch the goings on at a FMP even with you there and I don't think you will appreciate it at all, so I say no they shouldn't go until they are at least 18 or older preferably.

Sydney, Australia
10. Re: New years eve full moon party for family with teenagers

I have to agree, it's not really a child/teen friendly party. I haven't been before but my husband has been there. And from what I can gather it's 10 times wilder now then it was when he went. It is a pretty wild party with plenty of drink and drugs. We saw the aftermath of the FMP last year. I have to say it was pretty sad to see such a beautiful island so messed up. I hated seeing all the rubbish everywhere and all the drugged up people lying around. I also saw loads of people limping around in and out of medical centres with bandages wrapped around their legs where they have been burned.

In saying that though, I'm sure there would have to be a FMP on a different beach on the island somewhere. Hopefully someone can help you. :)