We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Phangan Help

Which Ko Phangan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 13
Ko Phangan Help

Hi all,

we will be travelling to Koh Samui in June and wondering if we should head over to Ko Phangan for a few days. We may not go to the full moon party so is there much point going to Phangan or is it similar to samui? i have been to samui before so i know whats its like.

Also what beach would you recommend to stay?

We would be after a clean beach and somewhere that is central to restaurants etc.

Thanks in advance,

izzy

Melbourne
1. Re: Ko Phangan Help

bump

just wanting to know info on Koh Phanhang. Hope someone can help me plz?

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 7
2. Re: Ko Phangan Help

Izzy

I havent been to Samui so cannot compare but Samui is meant to be a small version of Phuket... whereas Phangan is a smaller less touristy island (unless you full moon it!!)

We stayed at Milky Bay Resort and loved it... and this time have booked in to Star Huts.... it doesnt have all your McDonalds and Starbucks or alot of shopping.. but has a real quaint thai island feel to it..

Not sure if that makes sense but it was totally different to Phuket... much less commercial!

Hope that helps... we will be there again in Feb so happy to answer any questions after that.. keep an eye on my blogs for photos and stories!

Reet xx

Melbourne
3. Re: Ko Phangan Help

Thanks for your info Reet.

Thats what we are looking for and to experience the real Thai culture.. So not sure if we should head over as a day trip there or actually stay a night or two.

Looking forward to reading about your trip.

Have an absolute ball you lucky thing!

Take care babe

xxx

Perth, Australia
reviews: 6
4. Re: Ko Phangan Help

Hi Izzy

We didn't get to Ko Phangan last year when we stayed in Samui, but I really wished we had. We did a day trip that included Ko Tao, the place we stopped for lunch was on the main beach (I think it was Sairee beach) and it was gorgeous. We hope to stay on the north west of Ko Phangan next time we go to Samui. Here's some web sites I found helpful for info. Lee x

http://www.phanganresorts.com/en/

http://www.phanganisland.com/

www.kohsamui-info.com/phangan/index.html

www.phangan.info/index.cfm…

http://www.phanganislandguide.com/

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 7
5. Re: Ko Phangan Help

I have tried to reply to this 3 times now and my computer is doing funny things....

Here goes again...

You should definitely pop in 3 days at Ko Phangan if you can.. we did 4 nights last time and it wasnt near enough. This time I have 7 nights and I cannot wait!

We are staying at Thong Nai Pan Noi Beach which has a little village of restaurants etc behind it as well as beach restaurants and bars...

Another option you could look at is www.thaisunsetcove.com which gets amazing reviews on Trip Advisor and is meant to have a little village behind it too....

Both are meant to be alot more chilled and relaxing than the Full moon party madness of the Haad Rin area...

Honest Izzy its a total different feeling Thailand to Phuket/Samui/Bangkok....

Reet xx

Maroochydore...
reviews: 14
6. Re: Ko Phangan Help

Hi Izzy.

We did 5 nights at Thong Nai Pan Noi, after Chaweng.

No comparison.

Thong Nai Pan Noi was the most chilled place - great vibe, very relaxing.

Great beach, good food.

Was the highlite of our trip.

Make the effort and go.

Brett

Melbourne
7. Re: Ko Phangan Help

Thanks everyone! You've all been a great help and i'll definitely check out the websites mentioned.

Another q - What is the cost from Samui to Ko Phangan by ferry/boat?

Cheers,

Izzy

Melbourne
8. Re: Ko Phangan Help

I'm starting to confuse myself.

I've read the reviews of sunset cove and although it looks and sounds great, i think it may be too quiet for us. What area is more busier and central?

We have heaps of time just laying around throughout our trip.. so it is really worth staying there? or should we just go for the day trip to check it out

Is this all too much the same?

This is the plan -

2 - 3 nights Ko Phangan - if we decide on it

4 - 5 nights Samui

3 nights Phi Phi

7 nights Phuket

3 nights Bangkok

I hope someone can help me, i am just so confused.

And i like to be around areas that aren't so secluded.

Thanks in advance

Izzy

Maroochydore...
reviews: 14
9. Re: Ko Phangan Help

You need to remember that June is rainy season for Phi Phi and Phuket, not that that will stop you enjoying your time - offset by the cheaper prices at that time.

You also need to factor in how your going to get from one side of the peninsular to the other (Samui to Phuket), what were you thinking??

Also consider what order you want to do things.

I wouldnt go to Phangan 1st, rather go there after somewhere fast paced so you enjoy the change.

I know you don't want to be secluded but you MUST go to Phangan - you will not be sorry.

You also have to remember that every time you move, you lose that day in travelling time - maybe limit the number of moves....

Brett

Melbourne
10. Re: Ko Phangan Help

Hi Brett,

I went to Phuket last November 07 and rained everyday for the first 10 days and thats high season. So it doesn't bother me that much plus by going in low season we are saving so much money compared to high season.

We are in our early 20's - do you still recommend Thong Nai Pan Noi area?

I was planning this -

Melbourne - Bangkok arrive 6am straight to Samui catch ferry straight to Phangan 2 or 3 nights

Back over to Samui 4/5 nights

Catch a plane from Samui to Phuket. Catch ferry over to Phi Phi for 3 nights

Ferry back to Phuket stay 6/7 nights.

Phuket back to Bangkok 3 nights

Bangkok to Melbourne

The reason i didnt want to do Samui first then Phangan then Phi Phi because we would be catching two ferrys and a plane in 1 day and i think i'd feel sick from all the travelling.. and i guess rushing to make both ferry times in a day. Also do Phi Phi before Phuket because my luggage will probably be too heavy to carry around after shopping in Phuket.. but then i really don't know? I know what you mean its better going to a fast pace town to see the difference :S.. thats why i'm confused as what to do.. unless we just skip Phangan and just do a day trip over there when we are in Samui. And at least see the place.

Ahhh confused!