We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 17
Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

What is the quickest way to get from Koh Lanta to Krabi airport?

Can the transfer be made by car only, or is the car required to go on a ferry?

If water transport is required, is there a ferry schedule?

How many hours dose it take to get from Koh Lanta to the airport?

Our flight out of Krabi is at 10 am.

I should mention we are going during peak season (Dec 2013)

thanks in advance!

8 replies to this topic
lewes uk
reviews: 105
1. Re: Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

Hi,

The quickest way is a taxi overland. Any vehicle traveling by road needs to cross the two small channels between Ko Lanta Yai and Ko Lanta Noi, and from Lanta Noi to the mainland. Two chain ferries connect these islands and they are drive on, drive off ferries and they run continuously from 6am to 10pm. The crossing time is about 5 minutes.

You can in high season take a ferry to Krabi pier at 8am, this would get you to the mainland near Krabi town by about 10.30-11am, it's then a 30 min taxi ride to the airport.

With a flight at 10am I would be aiming to leave the island at 6am to be first in the queue for the 1st car ferry, the journey should take 2 hours so you would make the check in cut off time ok if there are no delays.

Cheers

Canada
2. Re: Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

Thank you!

are there often issues/delays/heavy traffic? should we switch to a later flight, or is 10 am doable? we're flying to Chiang Mai, so I thought if we are at the airport 1.5 hrs prior to flight we are ok. Do we need to give ourselves more time?

Edited: 10:45 am, September 18, 2013
lewes uk
reviews: 105
3. Re: Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

Hi,

You should be ok, there can be a bit of a queue for the first ferries but if you're in it then you'll be one of the first on.

Generally air Asia are very strict with a 45 min cut off, which means bags checked in and boarding cards issued, not just in the queue, Thai are slightly more flexible.

A later flight would allow you to save money by taking a minivan which is easily arranged on the island.

Cheers

Canada
4. Re: Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

Thank you, sounds like we should be ok :)

Gothenburg, Sweden
reviews: 2
5. Re: Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

My suggestion is contact your hotel in Koh Lanta and have them make the arrangements. Its quick and easy..Hotels know the locals pretty well and have a good reputation. If I may what hotel/resort are you staying at ?

Melbourne...
reviews: 28
6. Re: Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

We were down at Kan Tiang bay and the trip to Krabi aiport took us just under 2hours. We were lucky and drove straight onto each ferry just before they pulled out. The shuttle service we used were locals and drove that way, if you know what I mean. They suggest you allow 2hrs 30 to be safe.

Newton Stewart...
reviews: 6
7. Re: Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

Hi there we did it last January in a minibus/minivan. Got collected from our hotel a d taken right to the airport. It was great value too.

reviews: 7
8. Re: Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta

We travelled on 28/4/14 from Koh Lanta to Krabi arport. We took a private taxi from the hotel located close to the ferry crossing. We left at 9am and arrived at Krabi airport at 11.30. It took from 9am to 10.45am just to get over to Krabi on the two short car ferries as they are very small and the queues were very long. The last 45 minutes of the journey the driver was doing 140km an hour! My husband had to tell the guy to slow down, very scary and unnecessary. The cost was 2,700 BT. Allow 3 hours to be sure and if you dont want be driven dangerously fast!

Reply to: Getting to Krabi Airport from Koh Lanta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted