We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan Security

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 6
Roatan Security

Some of the posts on this subject are highly exaggerated. There has never been gunfire at Infinity Bay. The Canadian who was killed a few weeks back was visiting a brothel in the darkest and most dangerous corner of Coxen Hole. Extremely poor judgment on his part.

Timbuktu, Mali
reviews: 27
1. Re: Roatan Security

A "brothel", I thought it was a bar..."La Cueva", just outside of Coxen Hole....?

Minneapolis...
reviews: 88
2. Re: Roatan Security

sorry, folks... I don't see how this point-counterpoint adds anything to quality of the Roatan forum.

This is an often discussed topic - there have been thoughtful, insightful responses from those with differing opinions. I don't see the value of opening a new thread that addresses issues out of context referring to previous threads.

Newport Beach...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Roatan Security

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5816.html

County Of Grande...
4. Re: Roatan Security

Roatan is safer than any large city inj the US or Canada. Care to venture out at night in south Chicago, the Bronx, Los Angeles, Detroit, Newark, Toronto, East Vancouver, Winnipeg???

Have been there for years and never had an issue. Know of lots of people who live there who never had a problem. Petty theft and non-violent crimes of opportunity do happen, but not any more than anywhere else.

You insult people, treat Hondurans without respect, are arrogant or deal with drugs; you don't have a very long life expectancy. The same is true in anyother country in the world.

Terry Curtin

Sudbury, Canada
5. Re: Roatan Security

How much time have you spent on Roatan Terry? I notice you have posted one post. Yes we venture out at night in both downtown Toronto and Vancouver. Neither city has the violent crime rate of Roatan.

I wander the world
reviews: 20
6. Re: Roatan Security

My concern, from my perspective, is it seems very little is done to stop any of the crime happening. I understand there are AI resorts in Mexico that are behind huge walls to keep the tourist safe...if something is not done about the crime on the island the only way the average tourist will show up is if there is so much private security they feel safe. I for one do not choose to visit places like that.

At least the cops in Canada and the Sates seem concerned and attempt to slow down the crime rate.

By the by ~ I have been out after dark in LA.

Maybe part of the problem is the illusion that paradise should be murder free.

7. Re: Roatan Security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:47 am, December 12, 2012
I wander the world
reviews: 20
8. Re: Roatan Security

Apologies Fathie, the issue still stands, if effort is not made to stop the crime on Roatan the tourists will stop coming.

I also use my common sense and have been safe for the 13 years I have been visiting but...

The thing is IF...something does happen, no one is going to help you. The system down there just doesn't work like the ones in the north.. it is not that one place has more crime than another it is that very little is done to punish the law breakers on the island. IN my view that is the problem, not how many crimes are committed but what happens after the crimes.

Sudbury, Canada
9. Re: Roatan Security

Sorry didn't see the 'Have been there for years' part.....

Well said Nomadic my sentiments exactly but I would also include the apparent lack of a functioning justice system. It would be a shame for Roatan to end up with walled/fenced in 'resorts' like Jamaica and parts of the D.R.

Like faithie I too have been to Mexico, a few times, never in a protected resort setting. We never had a problem nor heard of any nor felt unsafe. We also saw lots of cops and even military making sure the community was safe.

Faithie, although Terry didn't mention Montreal, do you venture out at night?

Timbuktu, Mali
reviews: 27
10. Re: Roatan Security

I do! I do! Although....I probably would not in certain areas...fair share of crime here. That's not to say Honduras doesn't need to get a handle on the crime situation....I do not mean to make light of it.

For the record, visited both Jamaica and DR......and once again, not within the confines of a walled in resort. Small hotels, traveled about, loved the people we encountered, would visit both again without hesitation. Following pre cautions I use for anywhere I travel....

Get answers to your questions about West End