We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming and depth of Semuc Champey Lakes?

San Salvador, El...
Swimming and depth of Semuc Champey Lakes?

Hi, I am going to be traveling here with some friends for spring break and I was wondering how deep the lakes are and if you have to be able to swim or tread water throughout the tour? How deep are the pools of water? I am a terrible swimmer and can barely tread water, so I would like to know what to expect.

I know, i should get better, but any help is greatly appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Bethesda, MD
reviews: 24
1. Re: Swimming and depth of Semuc Champey Lakes?

You can walk into the pools at Semuc and, at least when I was there, they were not particularly deep. Now if you're considering one of those cave tours, that would be something that you should give some thought to.

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 103
2. Re: Swimming and depth of Semuc Champey Lakes?

I wouldn't call the pools at Chemuc "lakes," they are pools of gorgeous river water in karstenian rock. The attraction has been well organized for safety and you can easily splash around in the pools with very few "water-treading" skills. Areas of risk are roped off.

It's a beautiful attraction meant for adults and children alike and I absolutely would not miss it. Happy treading!

Dublin
reviews: 10
3. Re: Swimming and depth of Semuc Champey Lakes?

Just wondering if it's possible just to go to the pools for the day and not go to the caves? I'm petrified of those dark caves! Health and safety doesn't seem to be a priority, but really want to go to the pools. Is this possible? Thanks!

Bethesda, MD
reviews: 24
4. Re: Swimming and depth of Semuc Champey Lakes?

It's definitely possible. I didn't do the cave tour when I went.

Reply to: Swimming and depth of Semuc Champey Lakes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted