We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moorea or Bora Bora

Which Maharepa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
reviews: 3
moorea or Bora Bora

We are planning a stop over en route from Canada back to Nz over the New Year period and have always been tempted by Tahiti. We have been recommended Moorea or Bora Bora rather than papaeete. We are travelling with our 9 year old daughter. any suggestions? Also any recommendations for hotels gratefully received.

Las Vegas, NV
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Moorea
reviews: 5
1. Re: moorea or Bora Bora

If it's only for a quick 3 day stop over...here's something to think about....the flights from Tahiti to Bora Bora run about $400US round trip per person....you can take the ferry to Moorea from Tahiti for about $30 RT per person. With a family of three, that's a HUGE difference in price.

Auckland, New...
2. Re: moorea or Bora Bora

Thanks. A, thinking will be for about a week, but definately transfer costs a huge consideration. Also, it seems there might be more to do on Moorea? There seems to be a bit of discussion re overwater bungalows vs. garden rooms with pool. Any recommendtions?

Arkansas
reviews: 43
3. Re: moorea or Bora Bora

We just arrived back home with our 10 year old and we were on Moorea and Bora Bora. We stayed at the Pearl resort on both. I personally think the beauty of Bora Bora and the view from the Pearl resort is amazing. We did stay in an over the water bungalow, but the water is only waist deep so my daughter was able to walk around in the water and was comfortable. She can swim, but was more worried about SHARKS! (she has seen too many movies.)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Auckland, New...
4. Re: moorea or Bora Bora

Thanks for your help. Think we are decided on moorea as quite likely cheaper transfer costs and possibly more to do in terms of exploring the island as we will be there for about a week? Next question would be accomodation. we have been quoted a reasonable price for the intercontinental. Any opinions? There is quite a differnece in price between a garden room with pool and an overwater bungalow. worth the extra? Meal plan or not? Our thoughts are to include breakfast only so that we are not tied to eating at the same place every night, but would hate to find we end up doing just that for twice the price!!

appreciate your help

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
reviews: 27
5. Re: moorea or Bora Bora

We've done both Moorea and Bora Bora with our kids (who are the age of yours) and, while we loved Bora Bora (it is just fabulously beautiful), we'd return to Moorea with them. There is a better selection of activities and more easily accessible food options there IMO. On Moorea, I'd recommend the Aquadisco, Hiro's What To Do picnic/shark/ray feeding, the 4x4 and the dolphin encounters at the IC.

As far as meal plans go, I would not recommend a MAP plan unless. There are many great restaurants you can go to and most if not all will come and pick you up for dinner. Les Tipaniers is walking distance from the IC (altho I would not do it after dark) and has a fabulous restaurant on the beach. There is also the village-- we walked it easily when it was my husband and I (don't know if I would do it with the kids if it was hot). There is a small market across from the entrance to the IC and there used to be a afabulous pizza place.

I haven't stayed at the IC since they remodelled. If it was me, I'd go for the less expensive bungalow. Unless they completely re-did their bungalows (and I know they remodelled the overwaters, but didn't think it extended beyond completely re-doing the decks), there is no glass bottom floor to see fish. Their garden area is beautiful.

Also, if you're there over New Year's, I believe they still have a very $$$ mandatory New Year's dinner.

San Luis Obispo
reviews: 25
6. Re: moorea or Bora Bora

Rent a car at the PPT airport and take across to Moorea on the ferry. The car will allow you to eat out on the cheap, more than pays for the rental charge and now you have wheels to explore, no need to have taxi service from airport to hotel or airport docks.

7. Re: moorea or Bora Bora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Maharepa