We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moorea Sofitel vs Pearl?

Which Maharepa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Moorea Sofitel vs Pearl?

Hi. We are heading to Moorea in a few weeks, just booked a Garden Bungalow at the Sofitel. We were here once b4 in 98 and stayed at the Club Bali Hai. I was just reading through some reviews and realized the Sofitel is kind of out of the way. As I recall there was not much with in walking distance where as it sounds like the Pearl is closer to the area we used to walk to when we stayed at Club Bali Hai. Just wondering if we are going to have an issue with paying for taxis every time we want to eat out lunch or dinner if we stay at Sofitel or will some of those amazing French restaurants on the island I remember eating at have us picked up and dropped off.

Also wondering what the main differences might be between a Garden Bungalow at Sofitel and Pearl. As I recall we were out all day when were win Moorea and spent no time at the property itself so I'm not really concerned about the resort but I am wondering about the room, if one is any better than the other. Also wondering if a garden bungalow might be more noisy at one over the other.

And one final question. Is there still a day trip to Tetiaroa from Moorea? I read the resort over there closed once Marlon Brando died. I have great memories of taking a catamaran to his islands for the day.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Southern California
1. Re: Moorea Sofitel vs Pearl?

The Pearl is the only one of the popular resorts that has the best location as far as being within walking distance of MANY things. SOME of the restaurants will come pick you up, but not all of them. So you will have an issue as far as transportation going to some restaurants and going shopping. You could rent a car, but that's going to be pretty expensive.

San Luis Obispo
reviews: 25
2. Re: Moorea Sofitel vs Pearl?

The Sofitel has a better view, better beach, clearer water ...........

The Pearl is closer to everything else ...............

If it was my choice I'd stay at the Sofitel ...................

Sofitel is close to the wharf so the Le Truck is pretty much predictable ..................

BTW, my wife and I stayed at the Sofitel for our honeymoon long ago. We walked to the large market past the Wharf for goodies, no big deal, just make sure you have water. On the return a nice guy gave us a ride back to the sofitel ........

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
reviews: 10
3. Re: Moorea Sofitel vs Pearl?

You have chosen a very nice Resort with the Sofitel. Yes it is not the closest to things, but it has unbelievable clear water

with great snorkeling. Restaurants like Aito will pick you up no worry, you won't have to spend a fortune on taxis to get that amazing french/polynesian food. I would suggest you rent a car for 1/2 a day anyway to see the island. If you do it at the beginning of your trip you can get supples then.

I can't imgaine that there would be much noise at your garden bungalow. One thing you may want to be aware of there is a difference between the deluxe and the regular garden bungalow. The deluxe bungalows are newly renovated. As a matter fact all room categories at the Sofitel that say "deluxe" are the newly decorated ones. I would not say that either a garden at the Pearl or Sofitel are better. The Sofitel has a very modern style and the Pearl a more Polynesian traditional feel to it. Yes the Pearl is very convenient to stores if that is what is essential to you. Otherwise the Sofitel is a great choice.

For your Tetiaroa question you may use the search function on this Forum to get information. There has been quite a few posts on this Forum recently and in the past on this subject.

Have a wonderful time whichever resort you chose.

Regards

BO

nzwedding
reviews: 1
4. Re: Moorea Sofitel vs Pearl?

Hi,

We're having the same dilema - choosing between the Pearl or the Sofitel for our honeymoon next Apri. One of the main considerations for us is which has the best snorkeling? Our choice is between a garden bungalow at the Sofitel (which is the 'budget' option) or blowing the budget on a premium overwater bungalow at the Pearl - which seem to have access both to the lagoon and the deeper water beyond the drop off. We've been spoilt lately having several visits to the Red Sea with it's amazing snorkeling so have hight standards!!!

If anyone can shed any light on which option wouold be best for snorkeling we'd be really grateful

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
5. Re: Moorea Sofitel vs Pearl?

Thanks for all the responses. I guess we will stick it out with Sofitel. If anyone has any French restaurant suggestions I'm all ears.

PS. nzwedding this is going to be our second trip to Moorea and to be honest I don't think you are going to be blown away by the snorkeling. I've been snorkeling in the Red Sea and it's no where even close as amazing. It's just sort of average snorkeling in my opinion. It's more fun than anything else. Just saying.

6. Re: Moorea Sofitel vs Pearl?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Maharepa