We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devils Nose Train

Which Riobamba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Devils Nose Train

Did I read somewhere that you can no longer ride on the roof of this train? Has someone been there recently and tell us if this is true?

Europe
reviews: 41
1. Re: Devils Nose Train

At the beginning of June I wrote the following on Tripadvisor. I don't know what the current status is.

Hi,

Just got back from the train today. We arrived from Cuenca in Alausi to get on the train. We heard from the people there that the train did not start in Riobamba and that people had to go by bus from Riobamba to Alausi to get on the train. The train arrived at 10.35 and there were a lot of people to get on and the train was totally full.

Just before this normal train arrived, the Chiva Express passed. It was strange to see people sitting on top of the train that was the cause of the ban of sitting on the roof. We were NOT allowed to sit on the roof (not everybody knew that and made daytrip from Cuenca/Riobamba and were very disappointed that nobody told them).

We thought that the ride itself was rather disappointing and we definately not consider this as a highlight/ must do. We just passed Alausi on our way to the north, so it was ok, but other travellers were highly disappointed. The ride to the Devil´s Nose and back just took a bit more than one hour. The views were nice, but not nicer than other views of the landscape while you pass the Sierra.

After the Devil´s Nose part, we wanted to take the train back to Riobamba. We left Alausi and after about 200 meter, the train just went back. I asked the driver and he said that he had orders to come back and that the train would return to Riobamba the next day. Then we returned by bus.

New Zealand
2. Re: Devils Nose Train

Thanks for your reply. I daresay it's a matter of 'take what comes' !

will be interesting to see what happens when we get there.

3. Re: Devils Nose Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 05, 2009