We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

Which Otavalo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thousand Oaks CA
reviews: 9
Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

My husband and I will be arriving in Quito in the afternoon and plan to go directly to Otavalo is it difficult to get there by bus? We speak Spanish.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 73
1. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

The bus is very easy to take. You will leave from the Terminal Norte, aka Terminal Carcelén. You will probably not even need to actually enter the gate; the drivers' helpers assume any tourists are heading to Otavalo and will urge you onto their bus as it's heading out of town. Pay on board, about $2.50. The trip will take about two hours.

Thousand Oaks CA
reviews: 9
2. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

Thank you very much, that is what we will do.

Quito
reviews: 2
3. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

Good advise!

Ecuador has daylight until 6pm aproximately, if you arrive later than that is not safe to take the bus from the street, I would take the bus the next morning or from the main terminal...just an advise!

ireland
reviews: 25
4. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

my husband and I are also planning a day trip to Otavalo on Saturday.

would the bus enable us to visit Cotacachi and San Antonia de Ibarra. I have read that these places offer leather goods and wood carvings.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
5. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

From Otavalo you can indeed take the bus to visit these other areas. A taxi would only cost about $5.

ireland
reviews: 25
6. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

thank you for your help. the day we plan to to visit otavalo for its full market is actually easter saturday. i hope this wont be a problem

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
7. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

The market will be in full swing. I highly recommend an early start so 1), you get a seat on the bus, and 2), you have plenty of time to wander. Take a break at one of the restaurants that have patios overlooking the square. Also, if you plan to shop, you will need a lot of USD 1s and 5s as change for larger bills can be a real issue.

The Otavaleños are an especially handsome and friendly people; I always loved visiting the market when I lived in Ecuador.

Owen Sound...
8. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

Buses throughout Imbabura Province are easy, cheap, and people are very helpful. We took bus yesterday from Cotacachi to Ibarra, transferred to Urcuqui/Chachimbiro bus, and had a wonderful day at Chachimbiro Hot Springs. I highly recommend this if you have time in area. My suggestion would be to overnight at any of several hostels/cabins running around $20/couple for night. Return bus ride was a bit arduous after a relaxing afternoon in the hot pools and steam room. Enjoy!

New York City, New...
9. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

Can anyone refer a tour company or driver that they have used to get from Quito to Octavalo & back?

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 14
10. Re: Quito to Otavalo by bus or by taxi?

take a cab to the Carcelin Terminal and hop on the bus to Otavalo. The buses are clean and decent and a great option -- they lave this bus station with high frequency.

Be very careful in Otavalo -- especially when you get on and off the bus or in the market square .... especially if it is crowded and your personal space is limited. My iphone was swiped on one such rushed trip on and off the bus..... :-(