We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip questions

Which Rovinj hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 14
Day trip questions

My husband & I will have several days to explore Istria in late September. We plan to make Rovinj our base. After reading some other Q&A's, which were very helpful, here's a tentative plan:

Day 1: Piran to Rovinj, via the coast (Savudrija, Umag, Poreč, Vrsar) - has anyone gone from Piran to Rovinj, via this route? Any places not to miss?

Day 2: Hill towns of Groznjan, Motovun, Ipsi, Buzet, Hum, Draguc - did I leave any out? Would it matter which order; ie, starting with Groznjan or Draguc?

Day 3: Bale & Pula - any other suggestions in this area?

Finally, the next day we'll leave Rovinj & head to Opatija, probably heading down towards Pula, then up the east coast - any ideas for stops along the way?

Hope this isn't too much to ask at once. Would appreciate any advice.

Dee

Yorkshire
reviews: 7
1. Re: Day trip questions

> Day 1. Any places not to miss?

Porec. Allocate several hours. The basilica is a must.

> Hill towns of Groznjan, Motovun, Ipsi, Buzet, Hum, Draguc

To my feeling, too much. It is more a program for two days.

> did I leave any out?

Roc.

> Finally ... any ideas for stops along the way?

Labin.

> probably heading down towards Pula, then up the east coast

Are you driving? Road from Pula to Labin is not that spectacular. I would just use a (tolled) motorway from Kanfanar to Pazin.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
reviews: 3
2. Re: Day trip questions

My feeling is that it's all a bit too rushed - no time to really experience the places you propose to visit. I would suggest Motovun and Groznjan for 1 day.

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
reviews: 33
3. Re: Day trip questions

Slow down Dee,

Make plans by all means but enjoy Rovinj first and foremost and the rest will fit into place!

reviews: 14
4. Re: Day trip questions

Thank you all! The consensus seems to be I've bit off more than I can chew (but I want to do it all! :)) You're right Tynecastle, I'd left out Rovinj - silly me. I guess I was thinking we'd have mornings & evenings to stroll around Rovinj. We'll be staying in an apartment in/near old town.

igro01: yes, we'll have a rental - thanks for the tip on getting to Labin via Pazin.

Isn't there a castle or 2 in Istria? Are they worth making side-trips on the way to Opatija?

Thanks again!

Szada, Pest, Hungary
reviews: 29
5. Re: Day trip questions

Day 2: Between Motovun and Groznjan you can jump in (up) to Ipsi, if you want. (Supposedly you go there for olive oil; it worth to do it; other local products we like: on the road from Pazin to Motovun, where you enjoy the view of Motovun yet, there is a house on the left selling good honey products; Matosevic winery in Kruncici, near to highway junction Kanfanar; one of the best on Istria, young staff speaking English, good prices at the winery.)

If you are after Motovun & Groznjan, and still have time, you can go back on the old road no. 21 across Vizinada and other cities, and stop if you see something interesting. Near to Kanfanar you find Dvigrad, the ruins of an abandoned city.

When you head towards Opatija, I suggest to consider the option to go on the highway and see the cities you missed on day 2: Draguc, Buzet, Hum.

On the Eastern side the only significant attraction is Labin, however there are other interesting places, where you can feel yourself on the end of the world. If you want to see this natural & touristless face of Istria, you can select this direction, and after Barban make a U-shaped elongation via Trget - Skitaca to Labin. After Labin you drive between the mountain and the blue sea - simply scenic.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
6. Re: Day trip questions

I agree with the previous post that there are no significatn attraction on the Easter side. Would suggest alternative route, over the Ucka mountain. You can drive all the way to the top and you'll have some spectacular views there. On one side you will see whole Kvarner bay with its islands, on the other side whole Istria. On a very clear day you can see all the way to Venice (of course with binculars :-)). Just take the highway from Rovinj to Rijeka and just before tunnel turn of.

Roc, Hum and Draguc and not far from this turn of so you can visit them this time instead of rushing on the day 2.

I would also leave out Buzet as it's just another hill-top town. After seeing Motovun and Groznjan, no need to see this one too.

Another interesting side way would be the old ruined town Dvigrad close to Kanfanar. Used to be a town like so many in Istria, but abandoned few centuries ago and left to dacay.

San Diego...
reviews: 9
7. Re: Day trip questions

Just this week I visited Rovinj for two nights-amazing beautiful little town- could definitely spend hours and hours touring thru little winding alleyways- took an afternoon to drive to pula- which really the main site is the amphitheater right in middle of the small city- and is quite amazing but other than that didn't find the rest of pula to be that exciting - - also driving through the country is very simple! Enjoy!!

London, United...
8. Re: Day trip questions

I am going to Rovinj for a week - but we do not have transport and wondered if there were any local buses that went to interesting places or are we better to just stick with boat trips. [I know about Venice and the big ones].

Rovinj, Croatia
9. Re: Day trip questions

Hello! I am from Rovinj and I suggest you take a boat trip to Lim Fjord. Somebody asked about transport, if you plan to stay in Rovinj you could rent a bike, this is small town. Rent a car is definitly cheper then our taxies, if you plan to go around.

Budapest
reviews: 19
10. Re: Day trip questions

Dear Il28!

Could you help me with some addresses of reliable and good quality bike rentals? We are going to Rovinj next week :)

Thnak You in advance!

Get answers to your questions about Rovinj