We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

Which Porec hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 88
Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

I have booked for hubby and I to stay at the hotel Fortuna mid June for a week, I wanted to go somewhere different and thought Porec looked lovely. I am now wondering if I have made a mistake as looking at the weather on webcams it seems very mixed & wet which makes me think swimming will be out of the question. Unsure of what type of clothing to take. I am wondering what on earth we are going to do for a week staying on an island apart from travelling to and fro to Porec. We both drive so could possibly hire a car depending on cost. How much is it to hire a car?

Is it better to take Khuna or Euro's? Are there any customs we should be aware of? Does Porec close on sundays or in the afternoon? what time do shops/bars close? Is there anywhere recommended to stay if we missed the last ferry back to the island?

I love art & culture and hubby loves food, we both like exploring but hate rain, we are in our 40/50's however hate being bored. We often visit Spain and Mexico so Istria will be a very different holiday for us.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
reviews: 21
1. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

Of course not!! Just went there the other day and the hotel islinked by a constant boat shuttle also small boats that are taxicabs in theory also are there so will not be stranded. Yep weather has been the pits from next week on things are looking up and if it is bad weather you are close to day trips to Venice, other Istria towns, and Slovenia roo! Do not exchange your pounds to euros to kunas .thats ridiculous..either bring some cah or atm card in pounds and there are a hundred places in Porec changing money! Don't change at airport or hotel either they give the worst rates..Everything is open 7 days a week relating to tourism industry..except bank or post office..and Porec has a restaurant, club, or shop at every second door it seems like!!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 30
2. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

you will certainly not be bored in Istria, and hiring car is a very good idea to avoid the constraints of public transportation. You may start with exploring the Justinian basilica in Poreč and then move onto other Istrian towns and sites. below is a collection from my earlier posts, which might help.

I would definitely recommend a visit to the city of Pula (30 km to the South of Rovinj, at the Istrian southernmost tip), which was the Istrian peninsula's centre during the ancient Roman times, hence its well preserved amphitheatre, Roman forum (main square), Roman temple, archeological site, museum etc.

The Brijuni islands, a natural resort, are 5km to the North of Pula, just off a picturesque fishing town of Fažana. Another natural site is Limski kanal (or Lim Channel), actually a fjord stretching inlands from just above Rovinj. It is famous for its mussel 'orchards' and the food is greatly recommended in the restaurants at the inland beginning of the channel.

Hum is known as the smallest city in the world, with picturesque place of Roč nearby, famous for Glagolitic script, and between them a nice walk along the Glagolitic path. Then the cities of Motovun and Grožnjan are continental towns on hilltops, famous for their fabulous views. If the weather is fine, you may opt for an excursion to the Mt. Učka. The road to the top leads from the Istrian entrance to the Učka tunnel. On the eastern side of Mt. Učka, to the West of Rijeka, there is a townlet of Volosko, famous for its old fishing port, but also for having two of the top ten Croatian restaurants. However, I usually go to Tramerka, which is accessed by a small street running up from the sea, just between those two.

On the Istrian eastern coast, Labin offers a great view of the Kvarner bay (with the city of Rijeka).

As for the food in Istria, there is a plenty of fabulous restaurants with local cuisine, and it is worth looking at some of Istrian websites, which are pretty good. Besides, great official Istrian web pages on gastronomy are at http://www.istria-gourmet.com/en/gastro_guide

one more: http://www.istra.hr/en/home

Have a great time in Croatia!

UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

Thank you both for your replies, I'm really happy that there will be a lot more to do than originally seen. I have looked on the links which have proved to be brilliant. We will no doubt look out for the rock gig by Blue Jeans when we are there and also the Gourmet Food Festival which starts a couple of days before we leave.

It's good to know about the water taxi's are about as well as the shuttle and the local town around. Thanks also for the tips on money exchange and the ATMs.

Really looking forward to our trip which is in about 2 weeks, will definitely be hiring a car and travelling around the beautiful Istrian cities, towns, natural parks and countryside.

Thanks again for your replies.

Leggie. AKA Lorraine.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 30
4. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

you're welcome, enjoy!

Jacksonville
reviews: 10
5. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

i would like advice on traveling from Venice to Porec and back again, during the last week of August??

A ferry for two is 242 euros, which seems like a lot.

If anyone wants a contact person in Porec, my brother who speaks English has a B&B outside of Porec.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
reviews: 21
6. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

No thats exactly the ferry price as you have to buy 2 one way ticket which are 60 each so about 240 Euros is bang on!! Other choice train and bus combination its about 4 times longer than the ferry like 8 hours vs 2, and to save what maybe 60 uros between the two of you after paying train and bus tickets..Enjoy the boat!!!

Los Angeles...
7. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

My wife and I have been staying in Rovinj (30 mi south of Porec) for the past two days. The weather has been mostly sunny and warm to the point that suntan lotion had to be applied generously. The mornings and evenings are on the cooler side, but not cold. I'd recommend packing clothing for a range of temperatures.

We rented a car elsewhere in Europe so I can't speak of local rental pricing. Be prepared, however, that the streets in towns are narrow, and parking space in town in generally very limited and sometimes requires skills and nerve to park a car. Given that the towns are small (relatively speaking), parking the car somewhat away from the city center and walking only adds 10-15 minutes to your enjoyment.

Most places, as far as we know, will accept Kuna or Euro. However, if you pay in Euro, and change is due back, you'll be paid in Kuna.

Istria, and many other parts of Croatia in general, are very tourist centric so service is generally fast, courteous and professional. Restaurants, bars and bistros and in abundance and prices are more than reasonable. We had lunch the other day in the old town restaurant in Rovinj for 160 Kuna which included two biers and two main dishes. That would be about 21-22 Euro. Note, that tipping is generally not expected. If you want to leave a tip anyway you should figure approx.10-15% of the bill.

The pace in Istria is typical of the Mediterranean countries: slow and comfortable, meant for relaxation.

Many city centers are have medieval history, and in some cases that are building ruins dating back to 20 AD. So there is a lot to see.

Enjoy your time!

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 50
8. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

Although wages in Croatia are not set so that you actually need the tips to live on as in America etc. it would never occur to me not to tip unless I had received very bad service.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
9. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

I absolutely agree with you Jude C! I would really feel terrible if I had a great meal with great service and just walk away without giving a tip!

Belgrade, Serbia
10. Re: Have I made a mistake..1st time in Croatia

Leggie, do follow advice by happybypleasure and visit hilltop towns, too. They are incredible, especially Grožnjan! You can see them in my MTB Street view movies - Grožnjan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZhjAH3Nh8) and Motovun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od8WboFtnWU).