We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

Hi

We have limited time in Croatia and were hoping to get to an island between being in Dubrovnik and visiting Split. Probably have time enough to stay for 2 nights only on an island.

Originally I was thinking Hvar but now I am wondering if Korcula may be the better option.

What is essentially the difference between these two islands?

We have 2 children aged 9 and 11 if that makes any difference.

8 replies to this topic
Durham
reviews: 7
1. Re: Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

If you are visiting en route from Split to Dubrovnik or vice versa then Korcula is probably better with limited time because you will spend less time travelling.

Edited: 3:49 am, February 24, 2014
Zagreb, Croatia
2. Re: Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

If you will have a car, Hvar has an advantage due to the Drvenik-Sucuraj route and with public transport you will be a few hours in advantage for Korcula because you should to go to Split first to reach Hvar.

I would say that Hvar is more scenic and interesting in circumstances that you have kids ("Pirates like fortress", beaches on Pakleni islands).

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 29
3. Re: Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

I think it's Korcula definitely, the myth says Marco Polo's birthplace, with a fabulous sand beach in Lumbarda, near Korcula town... On the way to Korcula, stop in Ston for a visit to the great wall, traditional saltworks and oyster orchards...

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 4
4. Re: Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

We were in Croatia last summer with our 8 & 10 year olds. Saw both korcula & hvar. Hvar is much ritzier than korcula, although both were lovely. I would recommend Korcula over Hvar if you have to pick one. It felt more family friendly and laid back. Endless swimming spots, great beach, casual dining. We stayed in apartments Lenni - perfect for our family. Moreska dance is fun if you're there on the right days to catch it!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
5. Re: Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

I also say Korcula....I think that would be much better for the family than Hvar...

Newry, United...
6. Re: Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

I have travelled to a few of the island and I would say for definite that Korcula is a better island if you wish to pack in plenty in limited time. Hvar is very good in parts but has large swathes of area that has few roads & little to see. Korcula on the other hand has very scenic towns and villages dotted at regular intervals along the island.

I am probably a little biased to Korcula as several years ago (2006) I purchased a holiday apartment on the island and although i know the Island well, just cannot get enough of what Korcula offers the holidaymaker in terms of scenery, friendliness,tranquility. If you have two days to spend you could spend both days at either end of the island Korcula on one end Vela luka on the other experience more within one place or alternatively if you want to have time in both one full day in each. truth be told no problem spending a week or more in either place and still wish for more. what ever you decide enjoy.

Edited: 3:49 pm, March 05, 2014
Yorkshire
reviews: 49
7. Re: Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

Having been to both I would plump for Korcula. Because the town is very cute, you have a rarity in Croatia of sand beaches which are kinder on little feet than pebbles at Lumbarda, and if you are there on the right day(s), the children will love the Moreska. Hvar town and island are also wonderful but I think older teens and adults would appreciate it more.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
8. Re: Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?

Thanks everyone. We will head for Korcula based on your advice!

Leave Hvar to another time if we are lucky enough to visit again

Reply to: Hvar or Korcula?? which is best with limited time?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Korcula Island
More Korcula Island Topics