We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catamaran Split to Hvar

Which Hvar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chelmsford
Catamaran Split to Hvar

We will be staying near Trogir during the first week of June and would like to take the catamaran from Split to Hvar as we will go as foot passengers and its quicker than the ferry. However I cannot find the schedules on the Jadrolinja website. And when I look at ferries I can only see one at 7am in the morning which is a tad early when on holiday! Can anyone help? Or are we just too early in the season?

I was wondering if there are any mini excursions around the island? We wont be staying overnight so may just wander the main town and go out to one of the tiny islands by boat, but it would be nice to have a choice as I imagine the lavender will be lovely at beginning of June. Ideally we would like to sail between 9 and 10 am and come back mid evening. Many thanks!

Zagreb, Croatia
1. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

Catamaran timetable here:

korculainfo.com/ferries/catamaran-korcula.htm

London, United...
2. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

The Krilo schedule is on http://www.krilo.hr/raspored_en.htm

The Korculainfo site is a bit out of date for the latest times.

chelmsford
3. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

thank you for this. If I am reading the info correctly from both postings I can only get a catamaran in the evening at 5pm to the island of Hvar or a ferry at 7am - so unless you go on an 'excursion' there is incredibly limited choice for tourists? Yet all the guidebooks seem to indicate 'regular sailings'and the info on this Hvar website http://www.hvarinfo.com/hvar-ferries/#1 seems to indicate 5 - 7 ferries a day (although I would prefer catamaran if I dont take the car as its quicker). Am so puzzled!

London, United...
4. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

Ferries go to Stari Grad which is across the island from Hvar town. This probably explains why you see references to several services a day. There is a guy at Bosmere Travel in Ipswich that knows more about the ferries than me and he often gets early copies of the schedules, try giving him a call to see if he knows of any alternatives.

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 38
5. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

The new Jadrolinija timetables will include more options for the summer season but the catamaran to Hvar Town doesn't go as often as the big ferry to Stari Grad, which is worth a visit in itself. There are buses across the island from Stari Grad as well.

chelmsford
6. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

I am leaning towards the ferry - the company do themselves no favours though as they have got a timetable up for the summer - they must add to it but its muddly for people looking now. I am not suprised there are so many questions about the ferries ib this board which the regulars are so good about answering.

I am thinking it might be nice to take the car so can have a drive around one or two places - but is the driving a bit hair raising? We will be going early June so not as busy as July/Aug. Originally I was thinking of spending part of the day at Hvar and then maybe going to Palmizana for a couple of hours but then I thought it would be nicer to see a bit more of the island. Does anyone know the latest you can come back to the mainland?

London, United...
7. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

Yes, I'm afraid it is a bit frustrating when Jad won't publish their summer timetable but it will be out in the next month or so. It may result in some later sailings back to Split. June will be beautiful on Hvar and undoubtedly a car does give you more freedom. The driving is generally ok, its more the towns and villages where some streets can be very narrow and parking can be a problem. I was once forced into a 20 point turn in Starigrad which had quite a gathering of onlookers when I had finished! Depending on your energy levels, you could go to Hvar Town via Starigrad, explore it and then drive the length of the island to rejoin the mainland at Drvenik, taking in Jelsa and other towns en-route. However, some of this road is quite narrow/scary and you are faced with a good 1-2 hours return journey up the coastline back to Split. Personally, I'd just give in to the wonderful Croatian mood and pace. Arrive, explore a bit, maybe swim or take a boat to one of the close islands, have a good, late lunch, chill out, explore some more, go back to Starigrad and have a beer or ice cream waiting for the ferry home. Then a late seafood risotto in Trogir. Oh, such a perfect day!

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
8. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

If you are fine driving from Trogir into Split then you can cope with Hvar driving easily! I have never felt the slightest urge to drive into Split - the parking is a bit of a nightmare and can be very expensive. But its swings and roundabouts. I have bused to Split, ferried to Hvar (Stari Grad) then bused to Hvar Town and Jelsa on different visits. But I have never been east of Jelsa (and other people have said it's a great drive down the spine of Hvar) or made it to the Palmizana islands.

chelmsford,UK
9. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

Is the 'spine of Hvar' referred to in the previous post the so called scary drive?

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
10. Re: Catamaran Split to Hvar

Yes, but the drive over to Hvar Town is lovely and scenic too (read narrow, winding and the views dropping down to the sea). Past Jelsa you have over 30 km of driving along the spine to Sucaraj at the end. However, I would stay in the west and see Stari Grad and Hvar Town for just one day. I didn't think the regular summer ferry (rather than the international ones) were on the Jadrolinija site yet, but I think the ferry journey is great.

Get answers to your questions about Hvar