We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cavtat trip

Which Cavtat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wallasey, United...
reviews: 63
Cavtat trip

Hi, just got back from a great 10 day stay in Cavtat :) Thought I'd post a few little observations that we noticed, some little things that may help future travelers.

CATS!! There are so many around Cavtat, and alot look quite poorly. If you are scared of cats this may be an issue as we found that most were quite cheeky and would come up to tables. I love cats so was quite difficult to see the hungry and sick looking ones, but good to see some restaurants that appeared to be looking after them.

There is no diet coke in Croatia! Only Coke, or Coke Zero. As a slight diet coke addict this was difficult!!

We found that the portions of food in most of the restaurants was HUGE. Starters were as big as what we would have as a main course, and we are big eaters! We found it best to share a starter, and still found ourselves quite full!

We were pretty worried about the weather with previous forecasts showing lots of rain. We only had rain once and it was boiling hot the rest of the time. I still needed a jacket at night, and one night I wore jeans and was comfortable.

We went on the boat to Dubrovnik, this was something I was really worried about due to getting sea sick! We went on calm-ish days so it was ok, and if I was sat at the front of the boat in open-air then I was fine. However, I think we picked a really bad day to go as it was PACKED and so so hot. It made it quite unenjoyable so we left early. Definitely should have tried to do some research about when cruise ships were in etc so that's my own fault.

If you are planning on swimming anywhere then buy rock shoes!! Lots of sea urchins everywhere and getting into the sea is quite rocky.

All in all a really nice trip, would definitely visit again but maybe stay in Cavtat for a few days and try somewhere else :)

manchester
reviews: 5
1. Re: Cavtat trip

We're staying at Villa Fontana in August. Anywhere in particular you would recommend eating? Thanks for tip re: sharing starters - always useful to have money saving tips!

Wallasey, United...
2. Re: Cavtat trip

Not even just for the money... on the first night it was really embarrassing to leave so much food especially when it was so good!! The middle ground (price wise) restaurants that we enjoyed were Ivans, Restaurant Cavtat and Taverna Domizana (really nice setting over the waterfront). We went to Bugenvilla as a treat as it's a little more expensive than others but the menu is different and it was well worth it (book in advance though). I've started reviewing all the restaurants, but the ultimate favourite for me was Taverna Galija, they do sushi and steak on a BBQ and it was amazing :D

manchester
reviews: 5
3. Re: Cavtat trip

Great thanks!

Swansea
reviews: 34
4. Re: Cavtat trip

Great review, but when is the quietest time to go on the boat? Did you find out when the cruise ship docks?

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 28
5. Re: Cavtat trip

jobfamily have a look at this link. It gives the cruise timetables.

www.portdubrovnik.hr

Edited: 4:55 pm, June 18, 2013
Wallasey, United...
6. Re: Cavtat trip

Wish I'd had that when I went! Very silly of me, lesson learnt. We didn't notice any specific quiet times on the boats, they all seemed about the same, and some boats were smaller than others

7. Re: Cavtat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cavtat